Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have many leather-bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

I have many leather-bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Hey guys, I'm Erik "Baxter", just checking in. Been doing flight simming since EF2000...I don't even know when that was 95, also did Flight sim 95? You know what's hard? Figuring out Falcon 4 before the internet on your own in Middle school! Been keeping up with everything out since then. Got DCS A-10C when it was released for public beta and have been dabbling in it until recently I started getting into the multiplayer side of things and am very excited about it and about what this vFG has to offer. I have done quite a bit of RL flying but the virtual stuff is just more fun in the end. The basic Baxter story started in college, when I played college football I looked identical to the guy that knocked up the quarterback's sister so I got the nickname Ron which happened to be that poor guys name, which turned into Ron Burgandy with the release of Anchorman and it just deteriorated to Baxter in flight school, thanks guys. Its better than FUNGUS F*** U New Guy U Suck (also me). Not that anyone cares but I like knowing background stories to people's nicknames. Well look forward to flying with all of you this is going to be great! Sorry if this was long winded.

Baxter

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I'd say "Welcome" but I can only type small words; my eyes are too tired now.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Welcome Baxter

@roto
    Go to sleep then =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Welcome...be patient we're putting the finishing touches on stuff as we speak....

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Welcome Baxter!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    (...)I have done quite a bit of RL flying but the virtual stuff is just more fun in the end. (...)
    Ouch man! You stab me in the heart!

AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I know I know flying from point A to point B over and over again tends to get a bit tiresome I guess. I fly CRJs so not as cool as 73s but always amazed how similar their systems are to the A-10 all the way down to the HARS system, although the Canucks renamed ours AHRS (Attitude Heading Reference System) same basic idea but ours is updated from the GPS and VOR to VOR triangulation if you can believe that. Its funny that an A-10s max takeoff weight is 50,000 lbs and ours was 53,000 but thats with 53 people, 14,000 lbs of fuel and 3,500 lbs of baggage, the A-10 is one person....bombs are heavy ; )

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Ha! Yeah that puts things in perspective.
    I have been doing a A to B job on the Fokker 50, before jumping over to my current company on the 73.
    We do charter flights mostly and therefore have a wide network of interesting places we visit. Some C-class airfields as well, like Innsbruck, Austria. Keeps things interesting.
    How long have you been flying?

AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Hey yassy....flying since 2000 started on the line with the airlines in 06 little break in there to work on a salmon boat in Alaska...thats one of the more fun jobs I've had. Flying is a lot of fun but always being on a flight plan can get boring its more fun buzzing cows and fisherman ; ) always meant to do that in the crj.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Hey Baxter,

I've had the same thought about A-10 vs CRJ gross weight many times. You know how she climbs at ISA plus anything, and that's with a clean airframe. Can you imagine struggling out of the teens with the drag of all those hardpoints and weapons slung under a Hershey bar wing?

I think if you added up all the CDL drag penalties for missing aerodynamic sealant, flap fairings, door brushes, etc...you'd still only be about halfway to the drag index of a clean A-10. I'd be tempted to use the Hawg's version of APR all the time.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Haha yes it would be nice to have 9220 lbs of thrust at all times for the A-10 vs. 8900, I don't think the A-10 has an Automatic Power Reserve system, at least not that I can find. Snoopy could probably answer that after his hog ride, not Hawg ride. I suppose you could switch off the engine fuel controls for a little boost before you burn them up from excessive ITT. Are you an RJ Driver too Noodle? If your climbing at 500 fpm above 18000 your definitely a CRJ guy