Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Dreaming of Triple head

For all the cockpit builders in our squad and normal mortal ppl here is a question .

I am planning ahead for the future to get me a more dedicated simpit. The idea is to get this nice piece of furniture

The Obutto R3volution
    http://www.obutto.eu/shop/index.php?...&product_id=14

I plane to get four screens. 3 in a triple head setup and one touch screen for helios. Kinda Similair as this setup

Now with my HD6990 mobilty setup i doubt i can power a triple head system tho this is still untested btw. But even if i do i probaly need a matrox tripleheadtogo case or something.

In any case i was thinking in upgrading the overall pc and make it a dedicated sim PC .

Browsing on tweakers.net i found this setup
    Code:
     Processor: Intel Core i7 33820K Quad-Core (3.90GHz)
        Cache: 6MB
        Chipset: Intel Z77
        Geheugen: 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM
        Videokaart: 2x AMD Radeon HD7950 3GB DDR5 VRAM in CrossFire
         SSD: 128GB SATA600, Samsung 830
        Cache SSD: 64GB mSATA600, Crucial m4 
        LAN: 1Gbit
        8x USB3.0
        6x USB2.0
        2x Mini DisplayPort
        2x HDMI
        4x DVI
        Koeler: Scythe Mugen 3 Games Hardware Edition
        Behuizing: Corsair Carbide 500R
        Voeding: 750W
        Afmetingen: 521x508x206mm
    Also reading up on ED forums i know crossfire/sli setup is not possible. But this had nothing to do with powering four screens.
    First question.
    1. Can i power the triple head with GPU Card 1 and then the fourth screen with a second GPU card. Or will this screw up DCS ?

Now then if the above answer is no and everthing must be powered by 1 GPU card to also get MFDS on the touch screen?

Reading this thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...fire+dcs+world which has the same idea as above I cant find about the question to power it with two GPU cards. My main worry point is that it need 1 GPU card and to find one with 4 displayports then.

Second question.
    2. Do you think the above stats of the PC (excluding question 1 for the time being) is enough to run DCS in a triple head system ? (i believe it will but i may need some feedback on it.. doubting between ATI and NVIDIA for the moment and perhaps go GTX680 straight away)

Third question.

3. Is the Matrox Tripleheadtogo recommend by anybody here? I heard Hammer i think once saying it is not so good because you still have one card and from what i can see it only splits the screen
    4. Is triplehead indeed as good as it gets with trackIR ? I do like that you have side view for better mutual support but i am doubting if it works well with trackir.
    5. Last question can some bit builder make a photo from the head point of view so i can get a idea how immersed you will be into dcs .

Well let me know what you guys think . it is still a long term project but i want to get an idea how things will be
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I would suggest that you make an appointment with Jedi who has operational TH2G and visit his cockpit. For me personally TH2G was too much "picture" so I've decided to use 27" monitor instead.

By the way, I still have complete TH2G hardware (3x 19" monitors + TH2G-analogue). You could use my TH2G hardware with your new computer hardware and see if the TH2G is really what you want. Unfortunately you would have to do some driving to the south of Holland to pick-up the stuff; and no, I am not selling it to you since my TH2G is a bit outdated (analogue version).

This is my current cockpit with 27" + 21" Helios monitor.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Well If you over i first like to test it out if my current laptop can take it ... still have a analog plugout and two analog screens. so perhaps in the near future i will take you on with that offer. and indeed i dotn want to buy it dont worry =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

Here smurf get one of these theyre great...although you'd have to design and build it yourself like we did...its our latest sim...now to see if dcs will work...still waiting on the cockpit to be finished but in the end itll be a pretty kick ass super hornet sim!

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    yeah that doesnt fit really baxter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Haha no???

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    We just talked on TS Smurf so you know that you're welcome anytime to test your rig on my setup.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Haha no???
    well i say yes but my GF says HELLLL NOOOOOO ....(was pushing the boundaries with this simpit already )

@Jedi yup and i will hold you on that first some home moving and then i start this project
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]