Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Battle damage

Hey gents

A few days ago I've read the chapter in A-10s over Kosovo book about the incident when one of the Hogs got hit and had to make emergency landing in Skopje, Macedonia. Since I would like to build a model of it I am looking for as many photos of it as possible. If anyone has more, please share.

and with new engine installed prior to departure - looks cool with Euro1 engine on grey jet

interesting to see weapons were attached during installation of new engine. Damage appears to be focused on right wing and part of the left engine casing

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Not from that particular aircraft, but here you can find a lot of "walkarounds" :http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...0-A-10/00.shtm

That aircraft never jettisoned his payload after getting damaged. Since it diverted to an airbase with no A-10 accommodations, I guess that the payload hanging on it, was still from the mission where he got hit.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    don't know what about the A-10 but with the F-16 we had safe for maintenance (reloading all the weapons incl gun) with the Apache the gun load stayed in the ac during maintenance...

but when the safety rules of the airport you are staying on or heavier... then they go first

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    thanks for the replies guys. Stuka, thanks for the links, though I'm looking for this particular jet. The photos I've posted are good basis for my work, though finding more wouldn't hurt.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I’ve been looking for a picture of this A-10 for years! I was stationed at Skopje (Army UAV Operator) when this plane landed and we helped secure the aircraft/live ordnance until 3-armored HMMV showed up and took over. We were the first to greet the young officer as he climbed out of the cockpit.

He was still buzzing on adrenaline from his near death experience as we all looked at the damage and he told us what happened. (From my memory) He made a run on a target, pulled up, popped flares, immediately heard a SAM tone, banked and popped flares again! He looked over his shoulder for the incoming SAM, saw nothing, missile tone still sounding he banked and popped flares again, then instantly felt a huge jolt/bang and the aircraft shuddered. He quickly looked forward of the aircraft to see the SAM explode slightly high/left and in front of him. A SAM shot from below the right engine nacelle exited the top of the nacelle and detonated out in front of the aircraft. There was a hole through the right side of the nacelle about the size of a football! The damaged engine through parts like shrapnel. The damage was spread mostly through the right wing cutting hydraulic lines. We all starred in amazement, as the hydraulic fluid was dripping/pouring from everywhere making puddles on the flight line. I made a comment to the pilot “it looks like blood!” He said; ya, but these things are tough, it’ll fly again. It was truly and awesome site.

The aircraft was towed to the North end of the airport and waited for a crew to come and repair it. It was about 2 weeks later when an experienced pilot started making taxi tests and eventually took off and didn’t return.