Thread: So here I am making a post - asking questions

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So here I am making a post - asking questions

I really don't want to seem like an a-hole but I am going to ask some questions here which may make me seem such.

I posted a thread about getting on the waiting list for admission and I'm certainly willing to wait until my turn comes up. However, I would like to know a couple of things about the waiting list, and the training regiment.

1. How many nuggets are currently on the waiting list?
    2. How many nuggets are currently in training?
    3. How long does it typically take to get through the training regiment?

So I basically would like to know how long someone on the waiting list should expect to wait before being brought into the fold.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,108 Posts
    We currently have 7 kittens in training, and about 4 times that amount in the waiting list.
    Timings is hard to say, because it all depends on how fast/slow the trainees are going through the complete training.
    Trainees have at max 120 days to go through the complete training.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

McGyver (13Dec12), SNAFU (11Dec12), Snoopy (11Dec12)

Puerto rico
       Puerto rico
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Oh wow, thanks for the heads up.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    We currently have 7 kittens in training, and about 4 times that amount in the waiting list.
    Timings is hard to say, because it all depends on how fast/slow the trainees are going through the complete training.
    Trainees have at max 120 days to go through the complete training.
    Thanks for the answers Stuka!

So let me do some back of the napkin math here . . .

________

7 kittens currently in training, lets assume all are about 50% of the way through. That means they have about 60 days left before they either graduate or wash out.

So 60 days on the wait clock to start, approximately.

Then we have 28 folks on the waiting list. If we do classes of 7 kittens at a time that means there are 4 classes of perspective applicants waiting for slots.

Four classes at 120 day each means an approximate wait time of 480 days.

So 480 days days, plus the original 60 for the current class, makes for 540 days, or 1.47 years.

Basically a year and a half.
    ________

Now of course, I have not taken into account folks on the waiting list who will never make into training due to not responding to emails about open slots; or the folks who make it into training and subsequently wash out early for whatever reason. Lets put that number at 20% (just guessing of course).

20% of 28 is 5.6 , so out of the 28 on the waiting list 6 (rounding up) people will either never enter training, or wash out early. That takes the waiting list down to 22.

That takes the upcoming class number from 4 to 3. Adding in the initial 60 days for the current class, that reduces the wait time to 420 days, or slightly over one year.

________

Now we have to figure in the folks who make it through training, but do not pass the training. These are the folks who go the entire 120 days but fail to make the grade. Lets put that number at 5% , that's a typical no-go rate for a military school.

So this percentage, along with the aforementioned percentage, comes to 25%

This takes the wait time to approximately 400 days which is about a one year and a month.

_______

Wow that's a heck of a waiting period. Of course what I have not figured in is that you are not sending folks through in full classes of 7, but doing an Ad-hoc entrance. As in, once one graduates you bring one in while 6 others are in training. This changes the formula considerably, and although I have not done the math probably brings the wait time down to about 6 months.

If I might make a suggestion. Would it be possible to "test out" of some of the training? I have been flying A10 since it came out and can do pretty much everything, including ILS landings (0 viz), A2A refueling, Buddy lasing and many more of the more advanced tasks. I am fully versed in SADL operations, as well as formation flying.

All I ask is you give me a shot once to test out. If I fail you can put me back in the queue.
    Last edited by McGyver; 13Dec12 at 00:28.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    If I might make a suggestion. Would it be possible to "test out" of some of the training? I have been flying A10 since it came out and can do pretty much everything, including ILS landings (0 viz), A2A refueling, Buddy lasing and many more of the more advanced tasks. I am fully versed in SADL operations, as well as formation flying.

All I ask is you give me a shot once to test out. If I fail you can put me back in the queue.
    Prior to being accepted into training, no. When a pilot enters training an IP can use their discretion when conducting IQT/MQT eval sorties.
    Last edited by Snoopy; 13Dec12 at 02:28.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    Wow that's a heck of a waiting period.
    Well you make on flaw in the math. Not every trainee needs to full 120 days and not every trainee makes the cut how sad it is. We are also not looking into tranining a much ppl as we can we are also looking for members which we can talk, fly, game , cry , laugh with. So in more we also look if that somebody is a nice addition to our group. it also show a bit of will into joining a group that does things in a more military way then other more casual group. one may like that other dont like that so they head over to another group. All i can say that hang in there the queue is also getting shorther as said there are around 28 on paper but not all keep in touch due to several reasons. So i could be that the next in queue could be you =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarthogSmurf For This Useful Post:

Jedi (13Dec12), Snoopy (13Dec12)

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Also, web page states we are quality over quantity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Energy For This Useful Post:

Snoopy (13Dec12)

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu-NRG View Post
    Also, web page states we are quality over quantity.
    True but it seems a lot of ppl think the same way as we do
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Australia
       Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't mind the waiting but hope i'm still on the list.

Wish there was a server that we could at least prac on and meet/fly some ppl from here?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngwie View Post
    I don't mind the waiting but hope i'm still on the list.

Wish there was a server that we could at least prac on and meet/fly some ppl from here?
    You're still on the list . As to a "public" server we don't have one, one of the "perks" to joining the 476th is having or own server. Otherwise why join when you could just fly on the server anyways?!

Remember, You can always host your own server.