Thread: Oggii

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Hey, Oggii! Thanks for putting your life out there and serving your/our country. Lots of vets here and all are welcome.

Side note: friend of mine from an old squadron was a tank commander in the Corps - so of course when they sent him to Iraq they made him an infantryman. He was a bit miffed about that.
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I never got to be a TC on an Abrams (I was a Loader then Driver), but in '05-'06 when we showed up to Ramadi we basically parked them all in the motorhole and drew up-armored HMMWV's. It didn't matter much to me though, since I was an XO's driver which basically meant TOC-roach and Unit Armorer. Incidentally, the one deployment where I didn't really go "out the wire" all that much was also the only one where I blew up my own truck (nobody got hurt, thankfully).

As far as the Corps goes, I did get to attend Mountain Medicine (which was taught by the Navy, but 2 Marine Mountain Leaders also attended as students) at the Marine Mountain Warfare Center in Pickle Meadows MCB outside of Bridgeport, CA. I was actually really impressed with how welcoming they were toward us Army guys. Nowadays I work as the Clinic NCOIC for Endocrinology at Brooke Army Medical Center. Not as hard-charging or glamorous as commanding an M1133 Stryker MEV (which I did for 4 years and some change before taking over as the Medical Platoon Sergeant for a couple months). Everyone that works for me in the Clinic is Air Force, although incidentally, not one could tell me what "JTAC" stood for. Don't worry, I schooled them. In all seriousness though, they're all female, but very smart, and all the stuff I was warned about I am happy to say isn't a concern. None of them are "out to get me," and they all work very hard.

As you can see, I'm a HUUUUUGE Military nut. One thing I don't allow in my clinic (or in my Squad/Platoon before) is Branch Cheerleading. In all my years in, I've had the privelege to learn from and contribute to every single branch minus the Coast guard in some shape or form, whether it was working with Navy EOD, Air Force JTAC's, Marines (my experience with them is actually kinda' limited to their support types courtesy of being at Camp Blue Diamond during the aforementioned '05-'06 deployment, subsequent ones were Diyala Province, Iraq '08-'09, and the Sha Wali Kot District, Afghanistan '11-'12 both with a Cavalry Squadron). So yeah, whatever stories you guys have to swap, I love drinking in that kinda' stuff!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    You mentioned BAMC: I lived in San Antonio back in the '80s before it really blew up. Love that town.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's nice, it's a good change of pace. I say BAMC, but they recently ren-named it to San Antonio Military Medical Center because it's a joint Army/Air Force center now. The clinic I currently run used to be part of Wilford Hall over in Lackland on the other side of town. You ever thought of returning to SA?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    One of my Godsons was born in Wilford Hall; my best friend at the time was an instructor at Lackland.

I would LOVE to get back to SA! Possibly the finest town (now city, really) I know of. I've lived from SA to Grand Forks, ND and OKC to Chicago so I have a pretty good frame of reference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I left SAMMC in August after doing my clinicals for Respiratory Therapy there. Very nice facility full of great people doing great things. As for San Antonio, my wife and I weren't big fans.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So you got out of Resp. Tech right as I was fixin' to leave Alaska. My wife and I just had our daughter (second together, 3rd daughter for me, 4th overall) there, and her treatment from OB/GYN to Labor and Delivery was completely dismal.

Roto - You should check out the Last Frontier State! Alaska has been the pinnacle of my career so far, and that spans pretty much the entire northern hemisphere >.< (I drove by car from Washington, DC [I was only there for 6 months] to Houston then to Alaska to get there, and drove again from AK to Kansas to SA to get here. I was also stationed in Germany while I was still a tank crewman).

I've only passed through Chicago...it's not called the Windy City for nothing!!! Lackland's been in the news a lot here lately. Seems the Instructors can't keep their...hands...off of the students : \

Astro - Where'd you end up getting stationed?

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I'm currently in Portsmouth, VA for four years, hopefully by the end of which I'll be accepted into the MECP program and have the Navy send me to nursing school for three years.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Right on. I'm trying to wrap up prereqs for PA school myself, but alas, I did too many classes through DeVry Online...that waste of life... I'm starting to wonder if I'll EVER finish college >.<

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I hear ya... Lots of work ahead of the both of us, but it'll be worth it in the end!