Thread: Hello

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Hi there Mjolnir! A little late, but let me welcome you to the party as well!

AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Thanks for all the greetings.
    Still flying every night and looking forward to my turn in line. Hopefully I can get enough practice in to clear through training quickly when my time comes.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Looks like Air to Air refueling just became a top priority for my training routine. =)
    I am doing pretty good on the other requirements on the new list. After the initial failed attempts at refueling I decided to focus on the weapons systems for a while.
    Thank you for the updated requirements list and for giving sufficient time to try to get up to speed before re-opening with the new requirements.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Re: Hello

Welcome

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    OK. This AAR is driving me mad. I have been running various refueling missions ranging from the one shared here to ED downloaded ones to one purchased from Maple Flag Missions. With all I can get pretty close but do not connect.
    I have heard to adjust the curves and I have heard not to. What is the general recommendation hear on editing the curves or saturation for the TM Warthog.
    While part of me just wants to get to refuel. The other part says not to adjust it because I will want full control when in Combat. And I would not want to need to sacrifice the ability to put ordinance on targets and avoid enemy fire for the ability to refuel mid mission.
    Having a full tank does not score me any points when blown out of the sky because I retarded the input on the controls.

I am getting so close but one think I notice is when I and where it look like I am about to connect many times I seem to a-10 seem to suddenly produce more lift and I have to try to fight her back down and end up having to re-align. if I could tell when it is about to happen I might be able to trim nose down but thus far I have had no luck.
    Any tips from more experienced pilots?
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 08Mar13 at 16:58.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Re: Hello

Try to get in trail with the tanker.... Close in slow and when you have the plane steady ( nicely trimmed ) move in slowly and connect.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    How far back should I be trimming? I can keep her pretty steady with the tankers 2 inside engine nacelles just inside the curves inside the frame above the HUD. When I throttle up a little to crawl forward that's were it becomes unstable again.
    Also should I be moving left and right throttles in unison or walking them up left right left right.......
    I pretty much keep them locked together unless I lose an engine. But I have heard some recommend walking them up by alternating
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 08Mar13 at 17:13.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I found it was much easier to start refueling from where you normally would. Form up on the tankers left wing and trim the plane there to stay in formation cause in reality aerial refueling is just formation flying, so trim to stay in formation echelon left with the tanker and when your ready slide back into precontact. If you trimmed properly off the wing you shouldnt need to make any adjustments on the trim once get on speed for the boomer. Once in contact position focus on keeping the tanker itself put...dont look at the boom. Just glance at it from time to time to see the colors so you know your lateral position in the contact area. It takes a lot of practice and if you practice off the wing of the tanker that will help you in other areas as well.

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts
    Another technique you can try is to trim slightly nose down so you need a small positive pull to maintain level flight when you are on speed with the boom. Personally I found this easier to fly than a neutral trim.

I've been where you are. Keep practicing and little by little it will start becoming easier.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Well I just got my first 3 connections. Hopefully it comes easier now.