Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

My 3rd combat flight AAR

Mission started at Vaziani AB with me being a wingman to Nu-NRG. I still remembered my first flight over the combat zone with really bad weather so instead of smart bombs, I've selected 4 CBU-87s, for area denial work, with IR Mavs for deleting any potential SAM threats.

After departure, we followed our flight plan inbound AD01 killbox, which is located by the seashore, west of Senaki AB. The good thing about the current map is that the river is the front border, so anything north of river is hostile and vice versa. It was a moon lit night and until fenced in, I didn't use the NVGs. Approaching the killbox, we fenced in, lights went out and I moved into fighterwing to keep an eye on my lead while he was searching for targets. Soon he discovered two SA-9s, one of which he SPI shared to me, and we prepared an attack run. Venom 51 rifle, and his maverick was heading for his target... however I couldn't get a lock on my target and had to abort. During the brake to the safety, lead moved to support me and I went in for my second run on target. This time I got a lock, called the rifle, pressed the pickle button but nothing happened. In that moment a number of things went through my mind, what could be wrong and then it dawned on me - stupid, your forgot to activate the Maverick profile. So another run aborted and I finally managed to get a good launch in my third one. Rookie mistake for sure.
    After that, I moved into fighter wing again while Nu was searching and finally found another pair of targets - two SA-19s, nasty Tunguskas, waiting for us.... We climbed above Angels 10, while he broadcasted one of the targets to me, and we set up a simultaneous attack, firing mavericks in a period of few seconds and a bit latter, nothing but bend steel and fire remained of the SAMs. With greatest threat removed, it was time to do some damage. Lead spotted two Shilka's in the town below and pressed in with a gun attack. In a couple of passes, he managed to destroy two of them, but during his last egress, I noticed tracers going up against him from an unknown threat. Of course, we knew what was in store for that Shilka and soon it met the fate of the others. With main threat removed, it was time to do some serious damage. Lead spotted a road block and broadcasted it to me and cleared me for attack with a pair of CBUs. I set my attack but made another rookie mistake and made a bad tip-in unable to put the CCIP reticle on the target so I broke off the dive immediately and set another attack. This time I took a bit more offset and put a pipper in 5mil mode directly over targets in 40deg nose down and pickled. It was quite a maginificant sight to see bomblet explosions on ground covering the target area though the frame rate dropped to like 1 frame per 2 seconds and I was affraid I might crash until the FPS improved. Time check showed we had to return back to Batumi (real life can really suck during such times) and we left a burning pile of steel and concrete behind us and landed some 15 minutes later after an overhead break.
    TACVIEW later showed that we were lucky, cause there was another SA-9 in the area which we did not spot. Also if we would have just 10 or 15 mins more of available time, we would wreck havoc with our CBUs over the parked vehicles (mostly BMPs).

It might seem like an easy mission to some, but for my 3rd combat flight it was just enough action, enough rookie mistakes which I recognized in timely manner and didn't expose myself and my flight to danger.

This was defintely an experience that I was waiting for during my time in waiting line and later during the IQT and MQT trainings. And it paid off with dividends. Remeber - patience is a virtue and if you wait patiently in line for your turn for training, you will eventually enjoy flying with 476thvFG as much as I am now.

Cheers and I hope I didn't bother someone to death with the above Shame I didn't do any screenshots but the truth is, I had so many other things on my mind at that time
    i7-950|GB X58A-UD3R|Corsa 2x 8 GB DDR3-1333|GB 760GTX
    24" Samsung P2470HD|TIR4pro|Trustmaster HOTAS Warthog|Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals|Logitech Revolution MX

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InFlames For This Useful Post:

Astro (11Jan13), Coyote (11Jan13), El_Roto (11Jan13), Jedi (11Jan13)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Thanks for the great report. Gives us hopefuls something to look forward to.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    my advice is to stick around - the wait may be long but you won't regret any of it, when you're in!
    i7-950|GB X58A-UD3R|Corsa 2x 8 GB DDR3-1333|GB 760GTX
    24" Samsung P2470HD|TIR4pro|Trustmaster HOTAS Warthog|Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals|Logitech Revolution MX

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Nice combat flight log InFlames. It helps all of us still in training by showing the fun on the other side. Good job on the flight.
    i7-2600K (3.4GHz) | Corsair Hydro H60 | Corsair Graphite 600T | ASUS P8Z68-V | 16GB Kingston Hyper X Genesis (2X8GB)| EVGA GE Force GTX 980Ti 6 GB ACX 2.0 | 500 GB SSD | Two 2TB HItachi HD in Raid 1 | PS Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W |1x24", 1x19" | AOC E2752VH + Samsung 930B | TIR4+Clip Pro |TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek rudder | Logitech G13

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I will be here waiting as long as I need. Like I said in an earlier post, it will give me ample time to get to know the controls , procedures and codes prior to becoming a trainee. While there are a lot of vFGs out there this one seems to be better organized. Which is a plus for me. The fact that they have limited the number of trainees is a good thing really.
    So I will keep up my own practice and wait for my chance.
    I just need to find a mission to test my hand at AAR. In the missions I have tried their are none in the area whenever I make the call out.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I just need to find a mission to test my hand at AAR.

Here you go.
    Air start, about a mile behind the tanker.
    TACAN=76Y (not that you need it, he's in visual range)
    And the Tanker is on UHF 386,9, but your UHF is already on that channel.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

Mjolnir (11Jan13)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Thank you sir. I will be putting it to good use this weekend. =)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    It just gets stuck on "loading....". But I found one on the Eagle Dynamics page. This should teach me how to have a light hand on the stick. Either that or i will run out of Fuel. =P

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Mission downloaded and ran just fine for me. Even managed to take on some fuel

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I am running the current version (1.1.1.1) via Steam. Whenever I launch it It just say loading and I have to quit the Program.
    Does it needs to be used with DCS World?
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 12Jan13 at 21:39.