Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts

Recruitment Update

Over the past months we have had many people enquire when we are going to be opening recruitment and/or when they are likely to hear from us regarding their existing application. During that time we have been working on a new recruitment and training process, and we have now reached a point where we feel it appropriate to start putting things in motion. To that end we would like to let everyone know what is going on behind the scenes and what will be happening in respect of future recruitment.

It has been taking an unacceptable amount of time to get new pilots through our training process, there are many reasons for this, but regardless of the reasons it was a situation that could not continue. The 476th Command Staff therefore decided to rewrite our training syllabus and how it is delivered, and also review and amend our recruitment process.

As part of this process, we came to the conclusion that we would have to start from a clean slate as it would not be appropriate to change our requirements for new pilots, with so many who had applied under different rules still waiting. So to this end, we have "rejected" all currently queued applications. We believe that although not something we particularly wanted to do, it was the only fair way to move forward. As many of the over 30 applicants submitted their applications months ago, and many have not been active on our forums in that time, it is likely that many will have moved on and/or no longer wish to join the 476th especially given the changes outlined below.

Hopefully that goes some way toward describing what has been happening recently, now I will outline the new process that will become active once the current trainees complete their MQT, which will happen no later than 15th March.

Stuka is currently working on a new application system, which makes use of a php based application form, this will automate several actions performed manually until now, which will help streamline the process and reduce Command Staff & IP workload.

In addition to this new application system IQT and MQT has been totally rewritten, and will be delivered in a class format. The class format will mean that groups of new members will be brought into the 476th and undertake their training together on a fixed schedule involving weekly training classes. The new IQT and MQT will take place over a 2 month period, with any trainees who are unable to complete the class and pass their check rides being re-coursed to the following class. This system will prevent some people taking an excessive length of time to complete training, which has been a major cause of delays in accepting new applicants. Additionally the new system will reduce IP workload, while also improving the quality of training delivered.

In the process of developing the new training syllabus, it became apparent that much of our time was spent teaching things that new pilots really should be able to learn on their own prior to joining the 476th. Basic knowledge such as starting the aircraft, taxi, takeoff, landing and basic weapon employment are things that can be learned by the individual making use of the training missions and sim flight manual, as well as the wealth of training material provided by the 476th and other groups in the community. Another such skills is in-flight refueling, at the 476th we consider this a skill essential for an effective virtual combat pilot, but it is a skill that can only be developed by the individual pilot rather than something that can be taught by an IP. Therefore we have decided to make in-flight refueling a skill required of all pilots wishing to join the 476th to fly an IFR capable aircraft.

This page outlines the initial requirements for new applicants, and this page gives an overview of the IQT and MQT training process.

Lastly I and the other members of the 476th vFG Command Staff would like to apologise to those of you who have been so patiently waiting to hear from us regarding your applications. We sincerely hope you appreciate the reasons for the above, and that you will once again apply to join the 476th once we reopen applications.
    Last edited by Stuka; 17Aug13 at 22:00.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

BrainbloodNL (05Mar13), Comrade (10Feb13), Energy (10Feb13), ghostrider (11Feb13), Gunfighter (10Feb13), Hammer (10Feb13), InFlames (10Feb13), Jedi (11Feb13), Kifis (10Feb13), KIMB (11Feb13), Mace (10Feb13), Mergsie (17Aug13), Mjolnir (11Feb13), SNAFU (11Feb13), Snoopy (10Feb13), Soupy (11Feb13), Stinky (10Feb13), WarthogSmurf (10Feb13), Wendol (10Feb13), Wil (16Feb13)

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Just like to say I agree with the new way the training goes. For some the training now almost exceeds 6 months and the queue was getting bigger and bigger. I too believe a candidate should get into a exessive training periode to "prove" himself towards the 476th.

Hopefully our group will grow a bit more so we can have busy servers and more friends with good quality flying like we all want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have never succeeded at AA refueling in any flight sim before and had given up early on but now I have a goal I WILL DO IT!! At least the boom connects to the front of the Hog rather than behind in the Viper!
    Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz D0 OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GTX 570 OC Twin FrozR 3 1280MB GDDR5 | Samsung F3 1TB | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Intel X58 | Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 PSU | Antec 902 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 HP 64 bit | 27" iiyama monitor | TM HOTAS Warthog #05225 | TM Cougar MFDs | Saitek Pro-flight combat pedals | Track IR 5

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Don't give up...the key to AAR is practice, practice, and more practice....

To some having AAR a requirement to join the 476th may seem like overkill but it is a very important part of what we do here in the 476th and can truly be the difference between successfully completing a mission and mission failure.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think it's overkill as it is something I want to learn anyway. At least I have until March/April to get there
    Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz D0 OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GTX 570 OC Twin FrozR 3 1280MB GDDR5 | Samsung F3 1TB | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Intel X58 | Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 PSU | Antec 902 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 HP 64 bit | 27" iiyama monitor | TM HOTAS Warthog #05225 | TM Cougar MFDs | Saitek Pro-flight combat pedals | Track IR 5

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    and remember to trim, trim, trim and once again trim!
    i7-950|GB X58A-UD3R|Corsa 2x 8 GB DDR3-1333|GB 760GTX
    24" Samsung P2470HD|TIR4pro|Trustmaster HOTAS Warthog|Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals|Logitech Revolution MX

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Agreed. It is a necessary skill and after getting used to the a-10c controls and the TM Warthog over the last month ,I find I am now able to control the aircraft with smaller inputs after trimming the stick. I was able to stay in position last night even though Shell would not respond to the radio. So I just had to try to keep the plane stable in the correct approximate position. I'll try downloading the file again tonight to see if the tanker starts responding.
    I am actually looking forward to practicing this more now that I have a better feel for the a-10c.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I was able to stay in position last night even though Shell would not respond to the radio.
    Make sure you are on the correct radio frequency

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A2A Tacan was invaluable in finding the tanker Kept thinking all the way there 'It's wrong, I've gone the wrong way!' And then the dot appears 3 miles away and just that was an achievement lol

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu-NRG View Post
    Make sure you are on the correct radio frequency
    It was Preset in the file. I double checked it too and the freq was correct and the radio on. We will see how freshly downloaded one works.