Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool My introduction

Hey guys!

My name is Robert. 29 Years old, from the Netherlands. I've discovered DCS only two months ago, but it turns out it's the game I've been looking for the past couple of years. Guess I haven't looked hard enough. At the moment I'm totally addicted to it.
    Ofcourse that's the reason why I'm looking for an online community to fly with. While it's fun to join an open server sometimes, most of 'm are freeflight, or populated with non-English speaking people... I want a serious realistic game with serious people. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.
    Because I'm so addicted, I've got a lot of time to spend on the game, much to the aggrevation of my girlfriend lol. Nah, it's not too bad. I saw the minimum is 4 hours of playing a month. I'll easily make that many hours a week. I've already found a group that I regularly fly with, but it's a very small group and not very organized. I came across 476th and I'm impressed with the website and the number of members, many of which seem to be Dutch as well! So that's the reason why I signed up for the forum. Unfortunatly when looking for the application form I noticed that it's impossible to apply right now. That sucks because I'm really motivated to get started ASAP. When will the application open again? And how long does the IQT and MQT take? Can't wait to become combat mission ready.
    Anyway, a little bit more about myself. I've always been fascinated by aviation. Ever since I was an 8 year old I wanted to fly. Especially since seeing Top Gun heheh. So I've been playing flightsims as well ofcourse. Started with MS Flightsim 3 I think, all the way up to FSX. Ofcourse also X-Plane, IL-2 and Take on Helicopters. But there's no flightsim that I like as much as DCS. I've got the A10C, P51D, KA-50 (BS2) and UH-1H. I only play A10C and the UH-1H. Haven't really tried the other modules yet.
    Other hobbies are making music (singing & playing guitar), video editting and fitness (to make benefit of glorious muscles). My PC is kinda up to speed, but I'm saving money to get a HD7970 video card and to buy three monitors in the near future. Also I'll buy TrackIR next month. I've had a Saitek X52 for ages which I still use, and I use my Logitech G27 racing pedals as a rudder/yaw

So yeah, looking forward to apply. Please let me know when this'll be possible and how long it takes to become CMR.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Welcome Grizzly!

I've just passed IQT (on the Euro side) and I'm due to start MQT tomorrow. IQT was around a month and I believe MQT is also at least a month or a little more. There's gonna be a bit of a wait but it's more than worth it. In the meantime, get your knowledge up to scratch. Download the excellent (public) training material from here and go through your checklists etc.

Make sure you fulfill the requirements stated on the recruitment page. Air-to-air refuelling is a biggy! Keep checking that recuitment page, I believe it's the only 'announcement' made when recruiting opens up again.

Banned
    Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Ebs.

How many flights/hours are the IQT and MQT?
    And do you mean that you already have to master air-to-air refueling before applying? I thought you would learn it in the IQT.
    I've only tried it ONCE, and all I got was like 1500 pounds after 10 minutes lol. Should try it again I guess. I pretty much consider myself fairly proficient on all the other stuff though.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    welcome Grizzly

There's one training flight scheduled per week, so around 4-5 flights till IQT and roughly the same for the MQT. Since new recruitment won't happen earlier than in a month or rather a bit longer than that, you've got plenty of time to master the AAR as well as other required qualifications. And trust me, it's worth the wait!
    i7-950|GB X58A-UD3R|Corsa 2x 8 GB DDR3-1333|GB 760GTX
    24" Samsung P2470HD|TIR4pro|Trustmaster HOTAS Warthog|Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals|Logitech Revolution MX

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Grizzly, get it to a point where you can fill your tank fairly rapidly. Disconnects aren't really a problem but make sure you're able to reconnect as quickly as possible. There's some tips in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhW74kOlUeA

Only the procedure is covered in MQT, not the actual act of refuelling as it's required that you already know how to do it. Use the time waiting for applications to open to really get that down.

Banned
    Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A month... That's long. Don't need anymore training if I have to wait and train by myself that long lol.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Hi Grizzly.....and welcome!

Just a quick note, you need to seriously keep an eye on the application page for when it opens up..... that's the only way you'll get to be invited for interview. After it does open up...and then closes, there is big disappointment for many people, but Training Squadron can only take so many.
    You sound like you're wanting to take it seriously enough to join. Air refueling!.... that's correct, get practising. As Ebs said, it is a big hurdle to get over, and very challenging (took me ages )
    Use all the info available to you, and hope you get to join soon.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    If you stick around long enough to get into training you'll be surprised how much there is still to learn I have over 100hrs of MP time with the 476th now and I have a feeling that I still learn something new in each flight.
    i7-950|GB X58A-UD3R|Corsa 2x 8 GB DDR3-1333|GB 760GTX
    24" Samsung P2470HD|TIR4pro|Trustmaster HOTAS Warthog|Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals|Logitech Revolution MX

Banned
    Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I did pretty ok on my very first attempt at AAR, so I don't think it'll be a problem. The guy I was flying with said I should use curves to make the A10 less jumpy. I kind of consider that cheating, but if I do that the AAR will probably be a piece of cake. Is it normal to use curves in your control setup?

Also, how long does the application stay open for?

And is it possible to have a 'break' while in the IQT or MQT? For instance, I'll be abroad all of July.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    yeah curves are fine. I started off using curves myself but moved away from it as soon as I could. on the X52 increase your X and Y curves to 20 starting out. See how it goes.

I'm no slouch when it comes to flight sims myself. My experience with them is similar to yours. But I can 100% say that the IQT was a real eye opener. I thought I knew quite a lot about the A-10 when I started but I quickly realised how green I was when I got into IQT. What do you know about formation takeoffs/landings, approach and departure charts, overhead breaks, lighting procedures, radio calls, formation changes, TACAN Yardstick, Emergency procedures? if your flight lead said "Smash off, Goggles on" what would you do? This is just scratching the surface of IQT...Like I said, the wait is more than worth it.

As for how long the applications stay open, They close as soon as the slots are taken and I'm pretty sure there's more than a few people waiting to get in. If you've got the patience to wait it out, you'll love it here.