Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Night Storming OGS

Recently I had a string of bad luck (or better yet bad moves) granting me a streak of Code-3s and a wealth of experience floating under the silk canopy. So it was kind of intimidating to jump into a Hog again, knowing the mission has been restarted and the likelihood of a night mission. And being a lead pilot of the flight to top it off.

Yet I prepared the mission brief and we jumped onto the server. As we are not overly dependant on using TGP and for the fact that layered air defenses prevent setting up the orbit, Litening was left at home. Couple of Mavericks, couple of rocket pods with illumination flares and Winders and ALQ-184 was all that I deemed necessary for this flight. Oh and of course compliments from uncle Sam, a full load of CM.

After departing Vaziani, contact was established with Crusader flight to see of their intentions over the AO. We were cruising Angels15 until reaching Bullseye where we turned our nose on initial point A103, fenced in and dived to angels 10 initially. Upon moving closer to the river we further dropped down to 8.000ft as mud spikes gave us pretty clear picture that we are not alone and that we are not welcome either. And I didn't want us to enter the SA-11s envelope as I had a nasty experience with it the last flight.

I set up a north to south flight along the river and searched for targets while my wingman was supporting me. I had no luck spotting them on my first pass so after a while I turned north again. Still struggling with locating targets and at the same time seeing the drama Crusader flight was involved in didn't make me comfortable. As my wingman was more experienced pilot, I ordered him to take the lead position in searching for targets and I moved into support. After a short while, contact was made and I cleared him hot with illumination flares and the target area lit up exposing a massive number of vehicles served to us on the plate. Or so we though. Fact was that I couldn't help the feeling, that their welcoming committee prepared for us a lead salmon with a lead champagne as every time we approached the targets a bunch of those "salmons" were launched at us coupled with a whole s**tload of lead sparks to top it off. My RWR went haywire, jammer wasn't sure what kind of threat we are dealing with at the moment and was switching from SAM1, SAM2 and to AAA all the time. Thing was though, that the adrenaline was pumping so much that we established an almost perfect situational awareness - we simply started ignoring missile warnings for the missiles that were headed for the Crusader flight. Since we weren't carrying TGP, we were all the time heads out and apart from those short two moments we were locking our Mavericks, the eyes were out there, looking for targets and threats. Afterall after we fired our AGMs, we were down to GAU-8 only and we started this flare-gun run circles in shooter shooter, laying as much rounds on the APCs and MBTs as we could. And all that despite knowing that when we'll get in range, we will be met with heavy AAA and a very probable SAM launch or two. Yet with proper SA and tactics we defeated them all.

The flight back home was uneventful... We were cruising at A10, tired of the combat behind us and despite the night time, we were in VMC and ended the flight in a nice overhead at Vaziani. The truth is that after landing I felt complete. I felt we achieved something tonight. My palms were so sweaty I had to wipe the Cougar after flight. But the interesting fact was that despite a number of destroyed targets, the debriefing with the help of TARS showed that we barely scratched the surface of the units down there. And I get some of that confidence and self-esteem back.

I would like to thank Nu-NRG for great support during the flight and spotting the targets for me in the first place.

Special thanks go to Eddie for creating Operation Georgian Storm - the most thrilling mission I have flown to date.

Resistance if futile - you will be assimilated! Borg 1 out!

And a bit of eye candy

taxi time

taking active

Departure

Cruising echelon right

Borg 12 rifle

Borg 11 rifle

Borg 11 rifle

guns guns guns

Chernaya Smert (Black Death for non-Russian speakers)

short final

well deserved rest!
    i7-950|GB X58A-UD3R|Corsa 2x 8 GB DDR3-1333|GB 760GTX
    24" Samsung P2470HD|TIR4pro|Trustmaster HOTAS Warthog|Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals|Logitech Revolution MX

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InFlames For This Useful Post:

Coyote (23May13), Eddie (23May13), El_Roto (23May13), Energy (23May13), KIMB (23May13), Stuka (23May13)

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Nice one !

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    As talked to InFlames during the flight that I need to do this ...

So on the way back, when all went from hectic to calm I get the chance to look around the pit and I notice my G meter.
    And then I ask my lead:
    "Hey, how much did you pull?"
    InFlames kindly replies and it was some normal numbers ...

I however go:
    "Oh well, Code 1 on such intense flight, just to get killed by crewchief"

Here is why:

At one time during maneuvering I got that crappy feeling that wings are about to depart, but was way to busy on keeping head on situation outside, getting the hell out.
    Last edited by Energy; 23May13 at 14:28.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    En route

In the dark

Home sweet home

Inflames parking

Cold jets

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Energy For This Useful Post:

InFlames (23May13)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I look forward to flying with both or either of you in the future so I can get some much-needed pointers on how to handle these types of situations. I'm afraid I'm serious seriously lacking in these areas. (Ask K.I.M.B. )
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]