Thread: FPS vs Fluid Feel

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

FPS vs Fluid Feel

I know the debate between graphics quality and a high FPS is an endless quest for the "perfect" setup, but I would like to get your feedback on something that I've noticed...and wanted to know if you've experienced the same thing.

I understand that the limit of our eyes/brain to distinguish individual frames is around 30 FPS. However I personally notice a major change in the "feel", or fluidity of the sim when I'm somewhere around 50-60 FPS.

It's hard to nail down in concrete terms, but when I'm at this higher framerate limit the aircraft "feels" like it is telling me a better story of the flight model and matches more closely to videos I see of actual aircraft flying than when I'm simply at that 30 FPS target.

I don't want to start a debate between the tradeoff between higher FPS and graphic detail...I just would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or am I tricking myself into feeling something that isn't really there.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,108 Posts
    I honestly never look at my FPS. I don't even know the key combination out of my head to see the counter.
    If it feels good to me, it's good. Whether it's 20 or 200 fps.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Anything beyond 30 fps falls into a latency issue. Without going into too many details, most 60hz monitors can only technically do 60 full fps. Anything higher than that, again is reduced latency.