Thread: IAW Theater Identification Criteria

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

IAW Theater Identification Criteria

So, I was just cruising along and I was defining the brevity code “BANDIT”, this brings up a question.

I expect a lot of stupid answer to a smart question so please try to refrain; I already know that If its shooting at me it’s now my enemy at this current moment, Friend or Foe. (I’d hope I had the skill to evade then do the assessment before I blacked his eye). SOOOoooo…

There is a Procedure that we race through to elevate a Bogey to Bandit, Before he elevates us preferably. That hesitation is function of "Fog of war". There is an SOP that is done very quickly to designate a BANDIT. I realize it don’t mean I can prosecute it, only that this group or aircraft has passed all “criteria” to be a BANDIT. I’m sure this "procedure/Criteria" has come in to question in many of debriefings.

This is a massive accusation flung by a lowly wingman. We as leaders must trust he/she has done the quick steps to state their claim. This has to be a strict measure as we don’t want witch hunters up here.

Again Soooo… what is “IAW Theater Identification Criteria”. In this conflict does all enemy where RED, and all friendly ware blue jerseys???...heheehe. I could just see myself going Blind then joining an enemy group..hahahah

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question but I really don’t think so,

What Criteria makes a BOGEY a BANDIT?

Please, serious answers or pointers to documents, or threads, or even keywords to search on, or even a u-tube, I’ll figure it out and write one up.

School me if this is starting a thread in the wrong area also.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have a Letherman....I'll fight!!

"The Pit": http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=894

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    A contact may not be a bogey at any point, so you don't necessarily transition from bogey to bandit at all. A bandit would be an aircraft that appears based on current information to be an enemy aircraft but has not yet been/does not meet the requirements to be classified as hostile.

Theater Identification Criteria is exactly that, the criteria that must be met in order to classify a contact for a given theatre. Just like rules of engagement this varies. Sometimes simply not flying in the right air corridor without a valid IFF reply could be enough to classify a contact as bandit/hostile, other times it may require a VID or confirmed hostile act.

So specifically to classify from bogey to bandit, you'd at least need to know that the origin of the aircraft is enemy airspace at the very least and it, does not return a valid reply to an IFF interrogation, and is not following any fragged air corridors and/or IFF failure/NORDO procedures.

The only real difference between bandit and hostile is that a hostile classification provides clearance to fire upon, bandit does not.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I'm sitting here as an Infantry man, trying learning the brevity codes, and I've not heard any proper aircraft radio transmissions. When I have contact with an aircraft, I can only recall how it was used In the movies...hahaah, and it’s never correct, like "Rodger that" Arrrgggg...this is not proper!!!, or In the movies they "TALLY BANDIT 8'o clock low" and go guns a blazing... I'm trying to avoid this. " A contact may not be a bogey at any point" throws a wrench in my blades. Makes me think there is a lower form of life that a BOGEY, like...."Tally Contact" perhaps, TALLY army..hhhahah.

Any hoo, I thank you for truly sending me to the weeds. its shows me I don't know at all what I interpreting from the documents I'm reading. I'd love to see or even hear the brevity codes used properly in context. Some codes seem to mean the same thing, when would one use this one over that one?...I just need to find quality transmissions that I can reverse engineer with the definitions I'm using.. only then can I continue to pretend that I know what I'm doing and saying.

Thanks for you fast reply. I've known for some time now that the IFF is not modeled In the A10c (hence another reason for my questions) you have a post on DCS confirming this, thank you for that too. so I'm forced to cave man it. I say this cause I know it’s more than just if a craft is not in my flight line kill it. You've answered my pointed question perfectly, it requires more conversation but that's about the lack of IFF and procedures in the stead of, it is not something I'm prepared to ask further at this point in my studies. I'm just learning the lingo for now. I have this same question on DCS and I'll post there what you told me here. Sorry I bugged you with this, that’ll learn ya to answer it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    It all depends. There are theater specific criteria for classifying contacts. The criteria could be based on timing, route of flight, IFF/SIF, Point Of Origin (POO), or a combination thereof. However, SPINS/ROE may allow engaging any classification other than a known friendly. It all depends on the commander's intent and the threat level. SPINS can change daily to adapt to the threat.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Good stuff Noodle and Eddie, I'm getting the feed I was hoping for. This gives me the notes to use to ask smarter questions later. I've tagged this thread so that I can reference it later and if others join in with questions. I'm sure there's more to learn for others on this topic...uhh maybe? I guess I was hoping I wasn't the only one who didn't know...some times we just don't know to ask.

Off topic, in that it got started as a result of my definition of BANDIT, making mention of criteria. What I’m really working on is the Brevity codes. I'm looking for ways to listen to the Brevity codes used in context. I'm thinking I may learn them better if I can hear how they are used with others. No need answer this here, I'll post another not here, on the DCS site I don't want to muddle this forum up with trivial questions. Hope to not shoot you in the future thanks for your reply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Probably the best video ever made. Nice BVR and ACM comms too...

Last edited by Noodle; 25Feb14 at 01:38.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    HOLY FARGIN COW!!!!.... THAT was frigin Awesome.. Heell yea. Am I the only one to get bumps on the bumps watching that. Thank you Noodle, Jersey you Rock Brother. That will get me rolling. The radio comms make's that, the music not required but it was Flipin Far the F' out Man!!!...

Wow, I need a cigarette. pheuwww. If I didn't love my A10 so much I'd almost fly that one...

because I look gift horses in the mouth, is there a variant on that with out the music, or perhaps connections to cut outs of that Jersey may have. I'd can pile them up with others I hope to find...Crapp man this will get me started for sure. I have a partner in crime, can I arm him with this also he's on DCS but not here, we're working together on this. not sure how or if I can share your contribution of Jersey's contribution to our studies?

Oh man...I'll have to cut the video to focus on the commo..hahahaa. also I need make a new thread for this as this "brevity studies" and not "when and when not to dot that eye"...Right???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]