Thread: Hello, from Chicken (I think I broke my other thread somehow)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello, from Chicken (I think I broke my other thread somehow)

Hello,

My name is Chris, and I'm a former member of the 1st vFW / 25th vFS 'Draggins' (callsign was Falcon, IIRC Snoopy made me some nose art). I've since changed my callsign to my IRL one (apparently I bear some resemblance to Chicken Little).

I'm a U.S. Marine UAS Operator currently stationed aboard MCAS Yuma, AZ at the Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron (MAWTS-1), which is the Marine Corps' counterpart to the USAF Weapons School.

I have DCS: A-10, Ka-50, and CA, and run full CH hardware plus TrackIR 5. I plan on getting back in the seat after April is over, but in the short term I wouldn't mind brushing up on my 3-09.3, playing simulated JTAC/FAC in support of whatever training you guys have going on.

Looking forward to recruitment opening up!

8YQmKBs.jpg

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quick question(s), since I'm just getting back into this A-10 business.

I noticed you guys have a lot of documents in your downloads section, but I couldn't find specific information for the battlespace.

Is there a squadron ACP/ACO or SPINS for the virtual area of operations?

I'm used to working with 1:250k JOGs with control points for navigation, and I see the A-10 doesn't have any 1:50k maps loaded in the TAD for CAS stuff. Do you guys train to operate with JTACs/FACs, and are 9-lines simulated accurately or are they abbreviated?

Additionally, a lot of the requirements are procedural in nature (Taxi, takeoff, landing, etc.) - is there a requirement to conduct these things with proper radio communications with the (v)tower?

Same thing with the "deploy all weapons carried by their chosen aircraft" prerequisite. Do we need to deploy them IAW the battle book?

I appear not to have access to some documents that I assume are necessary to do these things properly, such as the 476th vFG A-10C Weapons School docs and the 476th vFG Operating Instructions.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Chicken; 16Apr14 at 07:16.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,108 Posts
    Documentation is made for each mission we have running on our server. This includes tactical maps, but they are not like what you would use IRL.

We always fly with TARS, and since that doesn't have support for CA, working with a JTAC is not done.
    We do however fly with FAC(A) and do use 9-lines in the process.
    Operations are based on RL CAS and JFIRE documents, but are adjusted (simplified) for use in DCS.

You are not required to know all the comms upon recruitment. We have our internal procedures.
    A lot of the documentation is for internal use only.
    The line "deploy all weapons carried by their chosen aircraft" means that you should be able to get the weapon from the pylon/rail, preferably in the neighborhood of the target.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!