Thread: AAR

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Which Thrustmaster? There are the following for Thrustmaster: Warthog, Cougar, T.16000M, T.Flight Stick X, etc. And like others have said, don't use rudders for refueling. The only time I personally use the rudders is for taxi/to/landing, cross-wind correction, and attack runs.
    Last edited by Hobo; 28Aug14 at 08:55.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobo For This Useful Post:

Baxter (29Aug14), Ski (28Aug14)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    Thrustmaster warthog HOTAS

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    One of these notes are going to be your ticket, amazingly most all these tips are used all at the same time. that's a bit much for my two brain cells. I have multiple monitors, this helps me zoom out as tipped to earlier, I try to see the tail of the tanker just over my shield frame, I also have in my view not just the ITT, but the Pounds Per hour. from the ready, I only increase the throttle by 1/2 a tick, I try not to back off more that 1/2 a tick below tanker speed, or in this case the pound usage required to maintain 0 closer rate. when hooking up the throttle and stick move wildly with the tops of the levers moving less that an 1/8 inch. I'm almost exhausted when I'm done..ahahah. be very carefull that your curves (if used) are not too much, every now and again use no curves. I found issues with DCS curve implementation when the TVV crosses horizon line. I recommend using TM script to do the curving. (if your curving).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have a Letherman....I'll fight!!

"The Pit": http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=894

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spokejocky For This Useful Post:

Ski (28Aug14)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    No matter how much you read guides, watch videos, ask for pointers unless you practice practice and when you are about to give up keep practicing you'll never get it. Honestly, I can remember when I first got DCS A-10C I thought I'd never be able to accomplish it but one day it just clicked.

But most of all...DON'T USE CURVES.

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    But most of all...DON'T USE CURVES.
    This is gospel.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    I've never used rudders in air refueling.
    I can imagine how that goes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Energy For This Useful Post:

Ski (29Aug14)

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    No matter how much you read guides, watch videos, ask for pointers unless you practice practice and when you are about to give up keep practicing you'll never get it. Honestly, I can remember when I first got DCS A-10C I thought I'd never be able to accomplish it but one day it just clicked.
    This. Many times this. There is shit load of stuff what helps and what not.

I'll say this: I don't need anything but what I should be seeing. Certain parts of tanker and where they are suppose to be - your position behind the tanker - practice!
    There is no boom. There is no gauges. There is only "transfer complete" which is the signal that I'm done and move to his right

Also on consideration, USE TRIM. And by trim I mean, do it proper way. Form up on the left, as there you get the hang of the tankers speed, get the hang of the throttle adjustments needed to keep up with him and also have time to trim while you hold formation (that is what you are doing while taking fuel). And after that just slide behind him, take fuel and then again, do it proper way, form up on his right.

You notice it is rather rewarding even if you do not take fuel.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Energy For This Useful Post:

Ski (29Aug14)

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Like learning to ride a bike, one day it clicks and you can do it. You hold formation more easily and can anticipate any control or throttle inputs to maintain position. Like Energy said, there are no gauges to look at when on the boom!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trigger For This Useful Post:

Ski (29Aug14)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    If your up to it, dig in to your stick, I found my pressure ring was cracked and deformed with the ring out of place and mangled. The new part they sent me this week is just as deformed and cracked. They sent me a used part that is clearly a design flaw. The part can't handle the load. This part came with a new ring but was not glued in place, it will also migrate. Yours is likely in the same shape and or will be soon. When I get the "new" un-cracked part, I'll look in to having it copied in aluminum with the PTFE ring glued in place.

Snoopy's suggestion is what I was advised by my Israeli A10 pilot buddy here at work, Set the trim to require slight pull back in the stick to maintain Level flight. This seems to get me past my failed parts. In the SIM we do it to avoid the transition of the spring pushing back to center. I'm doing it to avoid mechanical failure in my TM pressure ring. The Israeli (and Snoopy? I'm thinking you may be or were at one time a RL A10'er?) do it in RL for much the same reason, the changing direction of forces on surfaces adds complexity to mussel memory, as apposed to simply increasing and decreasing that force. like maintaining your riffle site on a target, you simply relax your arm to come down or flexing your arm to go up. your not pulling the rifle back down and pushing back up.

Remove the Curve from your throttle, I'm not hate'n if you curve your stick, I did it just to prove I could, then quickly found I couldn't stay on. So if you connected and have drawn fuel for 1 micro second, that's it. ditch the curves now. but never curve the throttle ever..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spokejocky For This Useful Post:

Ski (29Aug14)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Oooo, by the way, You could edit your mission, Lower the tanker to an unrealistic 12K alt, The air density I'm guessing makes my craft more controllable??, This is likely just all in my head. also slow him down a bit, I don't have numbers in front of me, ME is not expressed in IAS, so perhaps just lower it by 10 or 20??. This will help make closure rate and separation rate more equal when adding a nudge of power and removing the same nudge the other direction. You will always find the craft will separate faster with a reduction of power than it will close with the same addition of power. Low and Slow seems to make corrections more relative. it's like boiling from Room temp, a shot glass of what ever in seconds, but takes all day for that same "shot of what ever" to cool back down to Room temp. again my perception, but seemed to help me get on the boob, or what ever you pretend that to be. now I can do it in all conditions and altitudes, and most speeds. Some missions I've done are just ridiculous.

I'm trying to set AAR conditions to unrealistically as easy as possible to "find the trick", then step up the reality, like Orbib, then worse, race track, and then move tanker to 24,000, and then add speed, just fast enough you can't close unless he is turning and coming back at you.
    Last edited by Spokejocky; 02Sep14 at 18:39. Reason: OK, at 12K, Mission Editor tanker speed was 278, gave me a 223 IAS in the HUD, no wind, no weather.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spokejocky For This Useful Post:

Ski (29Aug14)