Thread: AAR

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I was, turned on the goggles for the screenshot. Normal screen shots at night are just a dark blur for the most part.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    My new mantra..."there is no boom!" Thank you to all of the helpful advice on what to do, and what not to do. Hooked up tonight for about a 20 second transfer. It was AWESOME! Practice! Practice! Practise! Fuckin A Bubba!
    Fargin Raaa dude! for some reason my family can't understand the calibration, your joining a relatively small elite group whom can actually AAR ...ahahahah.

I like to check my progress in the end by filtering for disconnects, you'll find fewer disconnects on some days and more on others, If I'm sleepy I have more. I try to AAR on every mission for the practice, even when I'm sleepy. You may notice shorter over all total fueling time with more disconnects. The value to keep low is the time disconnected, don't stress the connected times, nor number of, those come along in due time.

If I find my boom is not coming back to where I want it at the rate I want it to, disconnect intentionally. This increases number of disconnects, but it keeps you from making rash corrections, you'll find the boom goes back to a sort of "Home" position. You'll find your not that far off, and a small correction usually makes the boom jump to you. The value I try to reduce is the time to reconnect, this shows we're not making huge corrections. don't sweat the number of disconnects, nor the time connected, your just maintaining till he says full, or you feel your small corrections are not enough and need to disconnect. sort of a quick reference to show if I need to correct for range, elevation or azimuth, usually only one of the three.

I'm doing a smart disconnect to find that home position brings out the true rate of miss alignment helping to determine the true small corrections required to stop the deviation rate leaving me with only a small recovery rate. This will ultimately reduce total fueling time, even with 8 or 10 disconnects. Usually the boom never gets to home, its path to home show me where I need to go then I'm in range and he jumps to me.

I've notice negligible time during poor weather with more disconnects than with no disconnects in good weather. The time to reduce is the reconnect, even if it means a smart disconnect. by nature you'll decrease disconnects and reduce refueling time. because you've mastered the small corrections in the correct directions, heck I find I can correct in the wrong direction and still recover with out disconnecting. Focus on reducing re-connection time. Sorry about the long read...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have a Letherman....I'll fight!!

"The Pit": http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=894

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spokejocky For This Useful Post:

Ski (02Sep14)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    For all who have replied to this thread, thank you. It has been great receiving the feedback. Your advice has been so helpful. Now, for all who have success and ease of refuelling, are you using trackIR? I have been having more and more success hooking up with longer times between disconnects. However, I feel that not using trackIR is limiting my ability to progress. Thoughts?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    For all who have replied to this thread, thank you. It has been great receiving the feedback. Your advice has been so helpful. Now, for all who have success and ease of refuelling, are you using trackIR? I have been having more and more success hooking up with longer times between disconnects. However, I feel that not using trackIR is limiting my ability to progress. Thoughts?
    I would not fly without TrackIR. There is too much going on in the cockpit for me to use a HOTAS POV (if that's what I would have assigned) to look around. Or even reaching away from my HOTAS to use the mouse or keyboard to look around. If you think about it, the only thing your head is doing during a flight without Track IR is looking forward. It's another "limb" to use.

Remember, the less you have to do with each "limb" the more you can do. I know it sounds weird, but think about it. A HOTAS like the warthog. You have all of those options laid out for you in such a way that the load is balanced between your hands. Rudders take your feet into consideration and most rudders have toe brakes, taking the load off of your hands from having to use keyboard commands to do so. Then if you add in Track IR, it's essentially doing the same thing. Each of your "limbs" then have assigned tasks that make it a little bit easier to do things.

So, if my TrackIR went down right now, I would be grounded. I could not fly without it. (I could, but you get what I mean. )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobo For This Useful Post:

Ski (05Sep14)

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I always fly with TrackIR but for refuelling I tend to pause it once I have got my head in the best position for refuelling (I.e. Best position to see cockpit frame and tanker references). This means there is one less thing moving and one less thing to worry about when hanging onto the boom.

I should mention I have a small single monitor so pausing the TrackIR allows me to maximize my viewing perspective.

A larger monitor is next on the shopping list.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trigger For This Useful Post:

Ski (05Sep14)

Germany
       Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I always have TrackIR running and enabled even if I donĀ“t look around much while on the boom it would feel wierd to not being able to. Just keep on going and use whatever works best for you. AAR is really just a matter of practice and then some more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom For This Useful Post:

Ski (05Sep14)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I've AAR'ed enough now that I forget to Pause my TrackIR. I paused it to keep the indicators visible including my fuel usage. In fact I set up my Snap view to pop to the same position so that I had the same angles every time, then paused the IR. Pausing the IR is a good Idea for awhile. leaving it paused relieves stress in my beat up neck. Like some mentioned earlier, its one less muscle to teach right now. I only realize its not paused when my neck starts to cramp up. This is less frequent now, but it shows the distraction it can cause while AAR'ing. My thinking is if something in the pit needs to be looked at, it needs to wait till I'm in a staging aria taking mental notes to do this before I start AAR next time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have a Letherman....I'll fight!!

"The Pit": http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=894

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spokejocky For This Useful Post:

Ski (05Sep14)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I leave TIR up but if I remember I'll put it in precision mode just to keep me from "jerking" my head all over the place. I'll do the same when I'm shooting rockets or the gun.
    Go Ugly, Early.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doughboy For This Useful Post:

Ski (05Sep14)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Just to keep this thread alive.... Do those of you with the TM HOTAS use dead zones at all for the pitch and roll axis? I fly 0 curve but 3 on dead zone.
    Go Ugly, Early.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    I don't.