Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A10 Radio Preset Dial

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I have done my best to overcome these radio bugs. You CAN use the preset knobs on the VHF radios bound to a keyboard key IF you manually map things to your default.lua. I'll dig it up if anyone is interested, but I may have already posted a thread about it earlier.

Basically the issue is that the actual key binds are coded in a bespoke action, like the bind for these radio preset knobs has a specific action the options menu entry is firing and this action is broken. You can bypass this by directly binding to a hand written action which fires using the clickable data instead. This will make it so that you can bind your preset knobs and even your radio frequency knobs to the keyboard. This however will not overcome the bugs in the preset knobs which cause the preset frequencies to be messed up when you roll backwards rather than forwards, so that issue remains.

Interesting thing is that you can use this same technique to overcome the limitations in some other keybinds that ED has written. For instance the keybind for the canopy switch is actually cruder than the one you can use by clicking in the cockpit. The one ED wrote is a basic on/off toggle, but you can create a pair of keybinds that'll mimic the behavior of the clickable switch by again hacking together a command in the default.lua that accesses the clickable data that you are firing anytime you click the switch with your mouse. I even got it to work so that clicking open causes the canopy to fully open even after you release the switch, while clicking the close switch will only close for as long as you're holding it down.

As is the norm with ED, without the end user hacking into the code himself the final product will always be less than it could be.

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Interesting to see the lua file / example

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    https://www.476vfightergroup.com/sho...eys&highlight=
    Start here.

There was somewhere else on the 476 boards I posted some of my work, but that was about 5 months ago so its all blurry. I might have to reteach myself this stuff to teach you guys.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I just tested and can confirm that the radio preset dial issue is finally resolved in 1.2.12. Both AM and FM presets now turn correctly, and the radios stay correct regardless of turn direction. Nice!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Good news to be sure!

BTW, I've found the channel menu in ARIES to be easier to use than the actual radio panels. Anyone else have this experience?
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Nope I hide it as soon as I'm in the sim.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Completely agree Snoopy. Roto, of all the people! The Aries menu is ABSOLUTELY easier. But since when did that become your/our standard?!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Funny thing is last night when streaming on Twitch I'm sure you could see the weird angle I had to get my TrackIR to be able to see the VHF/AM radio. For the longest time I was against Aries simply because of the overlay.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Sorry, but I find it (ARIES list) incredibly useful. I can hide it at will and maintain great SA while using it. I'm not saying it's a new standard but, as Snoopy intimated, ones neck must be a bit flexible to look at the radio stack while using TrackIR. I most certainly do not have a flexible neck.

Perhaps I can apply for a medical waiver?
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I'm teasing of course, but on the neck angle thing, I don't have that problem any longer (I did). My view files (which I took from Zero) have changed the perspective of the cockpit, and I can look down quite easily at the Radios.

However, I am right handed, and taking my hand off the stick to grab my mouse, to then look down left and click the left panel is something I hate doing in flight. This fix is huge for that.

I can send you guys my view files, and you can try them to see if they help with your odd angle issue at all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

El_Roto (04Dec14)