Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus is here

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I want it now! (And 4x GTX 980's to run at decent frames)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    That's an interesting question Dojo how are your frames with the Rift? I would think a 680 could push 4k easily on a screen that size at high frame rates but I guess I don't know...

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I would think a 680 could push 4k easily on a screen that size at high frame rates but I guess I don't know...
    A 780Ti will still struggle to push out decent frame rates at 4K in most games, let alone a 680. At those resolutions it's as much about vRAM as GPU speed.

Edit: just read your post again, you realise 4K is 4K, wether on a 8 inch screen or 80 inch screen right? It's the pixel count that matters not the physical size.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Good point Eddie....lets just say a Ultra HD display where pixelation is not an issue on such a small screen. Samsungs current Note 4 cell phone display is amazing and it sounds like samsung is powerng the visuals...i dont know what that resolution is but it seems to me you could get quality visuals without extravagent expense at that size

edit: at good frames as well
    Last edited by Baxter; 23Sep14 at 12:00.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    DCS offers several challenges in present form. Ignoring those for now, Eddie is correct, the capacity of your VRAM is a primary limiting factor, but the Oculus DK2, even at 1920x1080 effective, additionally requires a refresh rate of 75Hz. Therefore GPU matters substantially. (Remember, refresh rate is the number of times an image is redrawn by the display in seconds, FPS is the number of frames being produced by the system, and is divided into the refresh rate. Where it gets interesting is that odd numbers pose math problems, requiring excellent processing to resolve... in TV, techniques like 3:2 pulldown or reverse telecine are used to deal with displays that run at 60hz handling the 24 FPS of a standard movie). e.g. a 25FPS DCS output going into 75Hz refresh is "very good", as you'll get each frame 3 times per second, and the result will be smooth. But that's unrealistic on my 680.

I'm not convinced that 4K is necessary to produce an excellent Oculus experience, but 1080 is insufficient at the depth perception provided. Remember, increased resolution is a matter of visual acuity (your ability to resolve individual pixels on the display). So the farther you are away, the less your ability is to resolve pixels at a given resolution. Playing with depth perception, the Oculus can theoretically be improved without literally doubling quadrupling the pixel count, which is why I'm guessing they're not discussing resolution at the moment.

Still, I have yet to play ANY game in my entire life that was as immersive as playing DCS, on LOW graphics settings, at night, departing and landing at Batumi on the Rift. The experience is incredibly immersive. I'm certain many DCS players will begin to architect their play around VR once mass produced.

That said, I remain doubtful the 476th experience could comply. Too many external tools needed.
    Last edited by Dojo; 02Oct14 at 22:24.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    For stick and rudder stuff I'm sure the rift will be amazing. The main problems to overcome will be operating the CDU and MFCD's and being able to read the small text on instruments/the HUD.

After the hardware breaks the resolution barrier and we have the horsepower to push all those pixels we will still have the unfortunate problem of inputting flight plans etc without using the keyboard and still having to flick switches with the mouse.

Hopefully someone will come up with a viable hand tracking solution some time soon so that we can at least point at what we want to activate and see a cursor appear in front of us.

I think general flying and especially formation flying/tanking will be improved massively by added sense of depth and 1:1 head orientation that the rift provides though. I certainly can't wait to get my hands on the consumer version. I think a lot of us will find ways to cope with the limitations once we experience that kind of immersion.
    Last edited by Howie; 23Sep14 at 12:54.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    For stick and rudder stuff I'm sure the rift will be amazing. The main problems to overcome will be operating the CDU and MFCD's and being able to read the small text on instruments/the HUD.

After the hardware breaks the resolution barrier and we have the horsepower to push all those pixels we will still have the unfortunate problem of inputting flight plans etc without using the keyboard and still having to flick switches with the mouse.

Hopefully someone will come up with a viable hand tracking solution some time soon so that we can at least point at what we want to activate and see a cursor appear in front of us.

I think general flying and especially formation flying/tanking will be improved massively by added sense of depth and 1:1 head orientation that the rift provides though. I certainly can't wait to get my hands on the consumer version. I think a lot of us will find ways to cope with the limitations once we experience that kind of immersion.
    I'd be interested to know if the 3D experience is precise enough for you to intuit the location of your Cougar MFDs if you had them in the right position.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    sorry something goofy going on with my net connection

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Howie, you're spot on. Once you experience the 3D... you just want to play that way. I dog fought in an F15 and my ability to keep my eyes on the bandit was astounding. I then did AAR after flying formation with the tanker.... insane precision. But all of the practical issues are still there you accurately cite.

sMaaT, I have the Cougar MFDs. They are fixed mounted, and I know my pit well by feel). I had no issue clicking the correct MFD button once I reach out and orient my hands. Additionally, leaning forward, I can read all the text, but the HUD is barely legible at all. And I have 20/15 vision. It's just not acceptable for now.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    OCCULUS RIFT; Opened up my newspaper this morning, it seems we're not alone in getting excited about the release of the OR...lol.

Attachment 1380