Thread: Oculus is here

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    It was during some BFM practice last week that I decided I just couldn't deal with TIR any longer. Offensive BFM is pretty easy with the TIR, but DBFM is just impossible...craning your neck one way and your eyes another; no way to tell which way you're looking or where your jet is headed. I found myself flying a perpetual "no-sight" defense with no idea if the bandit was in lead and no idea when I should tighten down or guns jink. The 1:1 head tracking is a must, resolution issues be damned.

Also, in a stroke of blind luck, a mistake I made during checkout on Amazon led to customer service giving me a $100 gift card, so I'm actually only paying $299 + tax. Look ma, I finally won somethin'!!!
    Last edited by Noodle; 12Jul17 at 02:56.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Eddie (12Jul17), Ragtop (12Jul17)

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Noodle, thanks for the feedback.

One of the biggest issues i have with DCS is the difficulty of seeing another aircraft. For a fighter aircraft, you are left hunting for a couple of pixels beyond about 2nm range. With the Oculus can you offer an assessment whether visible detection range increases, decreases or stays the same?

Condom

76th vFS Pilot
    Italy
       Italy

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

One of the biggest issues i have with DCS is the difficulty of seeing another aircraft. For a fighter aircraft, you are left hunting for a couple of pixels beyond about 2nm range. With the Oculus can you offer an assessment whether visible detection range increases, decreases or stays the same?
    For me it's worse.
    http://www.476vfightergroup.com/signaturepics/sigpic1750_22.gif

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    I find it to be a bit mixed. Once you're padlocked on another aircraft it's much easier to maintain tally with the rift, but it is generally more difficult to gain tally in the first place.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Amy (12Jul17)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    I want it but I'm still holding out for the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

It is worse at the moment. When DCS had the option for improving the scaling of objects, that helped out a lot without too much of it being a cheat. They have since removed that option, so it's nearly impossible to see an F-5 1 mile in front of you level.

However once eyes on, that is the fun part. You can even lose sight and regain it if you know where to look in a dogfight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Panther For This Useful Post:

Amy (12Jul17)

Amytollah

510th vFS SC
    United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Yes it is not as good as a 4K monitor for sure. When they took out the model enlargement out a few updates ago they made it very difficult. Changing you color setting helps but it still is a problem.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I just had another go with mine and while I still have a headache and my eyes feel funny, I didn't feel quite as sick this time. The best thing about it is the sense of scale. Spawning jets at ground level and doing F2 view, it feels like you can almost reach out and touch them. It's very cool and gives you a whole new perspective on how big some of these aircraft are. Still not sure if I'm going to keep it or not though. I couldn't see myself actually flying a full mission with it.

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I just had another go with mine and while I still have a headache and my eyes feel funny, I didn't feel quite as sick this time. The best thing about it is the sense of scale. Spawning jets at ground level and doing F2 view, it feels like you can almost reach out and touch them. It's very cool and gives you a whole new perspective on how big some of these aircraft are. Still not sure if I'm going to keep it or not though. I couldn't see myself actually flying a full mission with it.
    Because of the headache or because it's unpractical without a keyboard, documents, and scratchpad?

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    All of the above really. Also the resolution of the instruments isn't sufficient. You can't really make the text out properly.