Thread: Oculus is here

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Yeah, that's been my opinion too. It's an expensive piece of equipment, and depending on what you're doing with it, may or may not make your experience more enjoyable. What tipped the scales for me was a confluence of a few things:

1) TrackIR has always been a nuisance to me. It's the most unnatural thing I've ever experienced, and I've always hated that there was no better option. In my mind there is no substitute for 1:1 head tracking.

2) The cost to enter the VR market has been prohibitively high, but deep price cuts finally put it within reach for me.

3) I couldn't justify accepting the OR's lower resolution when flying the A-10 which requires so much time looking at and interpreting cockpit displays, and even when you ARE looking outside, it's almost always forward hemisphere. Now that I've switched to a day fighter, and 99% of my flying will be heads up in a jet with no real systems to speak of, and a significant portion of my time will be spent looking over my shoulder while students try to gun my brains out, I value the head tracking more than anything else.

As far as visibility goes, I've only used a Rift once before and I didn't test that aspect. It seems like a known issue though, and if ED ever fixes the model scaling, it'd be great. Otherwise, finding an F-5 at high aspect is very difficult in real life too, and there is both a science and an art to maintaning sight of the bandit once you've made the tally. Teaching you the TTPs of WHEN and HOW to take your eyes off the bandit during BFM is one of the things we'll be teaching soon.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Baxter (12Jul17), Panther (12Jul17)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I will say that the rift has probably made me a better pilot already for a couple of reasons. When I'm yanking and banking in the F-5 near to the ground, my brain tells me I'm about to G-lock. You don't even have to look at the G meter, you really can just 'feel' it.

Also, you don't tend to accidentally clip the edge of canyons when you're flying NOE. When it feels like you could reach up out the canopy and drag your knuckles on the ground it's time to stop pulling.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All I know is Oculus Rift and have never used Trak IR. I don't have a problem operating any aircraft systems or reading the instruments. I personally think it is the closest thing to real flying that you can get. At some point I will add motion for the full experience but for now I am highly satisfied with the Oculus and the strong sense of motion parallax that it provides. I feel like I am actually "IN" the cockpit and I can turn my head and look around just like I did when I was flying real world missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. I can even judge my descent rate and forward air speed when landing without constantly having to glue my eyes to the instruments when I was flying on a monitor. I can't really vouch for Fixed wing because I was a chopper pilot but the comparison to real world rotary wing flight is dead on. I can only assume it is just as realistic for the fixed wing flight as well. I recommend it for anyone looking to be immersed into a realistic flight environment from the comfort of their office chair.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Oculus + Pavehawk = heaven.

What helo did you fly?

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh hey Noodle, I flew the UH-60 Blackhawk Alpha and Lima models. Air Assault for a year and the rest of the time was Air Ambulance (MEDEVAC).

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Just throwing in my two cents.
    I fly exclusively in VR but I have had to make a significant amount of accommodations to make it really feasible for me.

Firstly I use voice attack to type on my CDU, I setup all of the phonetic alphabet to press the associated letter.
    I also wrote my own plugin to allow me to say larger numbers (i.e. one hundred and fifty seven) or a very fast succession of numbers and have it type it all out for me instead of having to pause between each number.
    I also setup voice commands to handle everything that can't be handled through my flight controls such as night vision goggles and gain changes.

I made alterations to a hat that allows me to remove the face padding piece from the oculus rift and have the rift hang free floating in front of my face. This made it far more cool and comfortable for wearing it for long periods of time, it also improved my peripheral vision slightly but most importantly it allows me to see out of the bottom of it for making notes or reading from my kneeboard.

I also re-positioned the head location in the aircraft to feel much more real, and modified the HUD text to be slightly larger for readability.

Even with all of this, and setting the pixel density as high as my computer can handle it, I feel like I have an overall significant loss in visibility for objects very far away at all.
    For me, If I trade a slight amount of combat capability for a more enjoyable and immersive experience it is acceptable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:

Entropy (17Jul17)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Down to £350 now. What it should have cost in the first place IMHO.

https://www.oculus.com

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Howie sighting!

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received