Thread: Mk 82 AIR

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
    The Mk-82AIR can be configured in a number of ways by the bomb techs. The nose fuse can be any of several detonation variety. The tail fuse is a device to control the ballute deployment. The AIR tail kit can also be banded in such a way that the ballute will (or will not) deploy regardless of the tail fuse function.

When the bomb is banded (literally, a steel band) to always deploy the high drag device the correct description in the DSMS page is "FIXED HI" for fixed deployment behavior and high drag.

Similarly the bomb banded to not deploy the high drag device (for example, low drag deployment but only high drag bombs are ready to load) at all is "FIXED LO" for fixed function, low drag.
    OK, the way I understand is when the techs band it to either deploy or not, there's nothing the pilot can change and the setting is locked in the DSMS, either showing FIXED HI or FIXED LO depending on how the bomb itself is configured, whereas DCS wrongly presents FIXED HI and FIXED LO as if it is a software setting in the DSMS which the pilot can change.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
    The normal or full functionality setting is "PLT OPT" for pilot option. The A-10C in DCS has inventory entries for option 1 and option 2 which are slightly different fuses. In pilot option mode the bomb deploys in high drag when N/T fuses function and in low drag mode when only the Nose fuse functions.

If only the tail fuse functions then the bomb is in high drag mode but does not have a detonation fuse armed.
    So let me get this straight, when the bomb is not locked 'hardware-wise' to either way of deploying, the real jet's DSMS will show PLT OPT and it's up to the pilot to determine if it'll drop using the ballute or not by enabling or disabling the tail fuze.

So what do pilot option 1 and pilot option 2 do then? Do they actually exist in the real jet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    When you set the bombs to Pilot Option 1 or 2 in the INV page, an additional fuse is added.
    In your DSMS profiles, you can set the profile to use N/T (nose/tail) or only Nose fuse. With the nose fuse only selected, the bombs will come off without opening the ballute.

So practically, you can have 2 profiles for the same weapons. One HD and one LD.
    What do you mean by an additional fuze? How can a pilot add a fuze from within the pit?

And two profiles? I'm probably not followin you but PLT OPT, PLT OPT1, and PLT OPT2 are three..
    Last edited by JayPee; 17Oct14 at 09:41.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I think the real A-10C has PLT OPT, PLT OPT1, and PLT OPT2 settings depending on which fuzes are used but in DCS we only have one type of fuze so it doesn't really matter which one you set it to. They basically all do the same thing in the sim.

Also, when the physical bomb is banded to a FIXED HI/LO setting I don't think the DSMS actually locks it to that setting in the real jet. You can probably 'tell' the DSMS you're carrying a PLT OPT fused bomb and it will take your word for it (but obviously it won't behave like one).

In the same way, we can 'trick' the DSMS into thinking we're carrying AGM-65D's instead of AGM-65H's if that's what we 'tell' the DSMS.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    OK, so we can override whatever we want but it's probably standard to leave the setting FIXED LO/HI alone if the bomb is banded. Using common sense, why would you change a software setting if your hardware is not supporting that setting..

Still a bit confused about the PLT OPT / 1 / 2 options.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Remember, a lot of the INV settings can not be set in the real jet.
    We can set things like fuzes, HOF, laser codes and such in the game for gameplay purposes.

PLT OPT (1 - 2) are not profiles, that are weapon settings.
    With Mk-82 AIR set to PLT OPT 1, you can have for example this profiles: A1 20LD4, and A1 20HD4.
    The difference here, that in the LD profile, you would set the fuzing in the profile to "Nose", preventing the ballute to open.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

JayPee (17Oct14)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    In reality the INV and DSMS pages would be loaded with the correct parameters and profiles already set (via the data cartridge) so no, the pilot probably wouldn't play around with the settings.

In DCS however we don't have that luxury so we have to manually configure everything and set our own weapon profiles for every flight (bummer!).

Really don't worry too much about the PLT OPT, PLT OPT1, and PLT OPT2 settings. I think in the real world they are for different fuse types (air burst/retarded for example)
    Last edited by Howie; 17Oct14 at 10:20.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

JayPee (17Oct14)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Yes I know I can set the tail fuze in the weapon profile to instruct the bomb to deploy the ballute or not (if it's not banded to either deploy or not) but what do weapon profiles have to do with PLT OPT / 1 / 2 ? As far as I know I can set multiple (as in: more than two) profiles per type of weapon, I'm not limited to a max. of two profiles per pilot option. What I understand from you Stuka, is that I would switch between PLT OPT / 1 / 2 to have multiple profiles. But if I only set it to PLT OPT I can theoretically make as much profiles (VLD, LD, HD, pairs, singles, etc. etc.) as I want, right?

EDIT: Uhh.. wait.. That's not right, right? Fuze settings are set in the INV management, while other settings are set on a deeper level of settings, namely in the DSMS.

I think I now understand the usefulness of PLT OPT, PLT OPT1, and PLT OPT2. Yet I'm still wondering what the difference is between the 3 and why one is simply called PLT OPT, while the others are called 1 and 2.

Still a confusing subject so I'm guessing either my brain's letting me down or ED dropped the ball in having the 82AIR settings make sense.
    Last edited by JayPee; 17Oct14 at 10:27.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The INV page just tells the jet what stores it is carrying. Set the fuse setting in there to PLT OPT 1 and leave it.

Then, as per Stuka's example, in the DSMS profiles page you would create the weapon profiles A1 20LD4, and A1 20HD4.

The ONLY difference between these profiles (aside from the name) is that you set A1 20LD4 to NOSE and A1 20HD4 to N/T.

Then you have 2 profiles, one high drag, one low.
    Last edited by Howie; 17Oct14 at 11:02.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Actually, naming convention dictates first two characters should be A_ ( A[space] ) when using PLT OPT. A1 is for PLT OPT1.

But yeah, that's probably the best way of handling the simified 82 AIR.
    Last edited by JayPee; 17Oct14 at 10:54.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Indeed, PLT OPT 1 is the one to use in the example with the "A1" profiles.
    Not on my sim pc now, but I believe that PLT OPT does not give you the nose fuse automatically (although, you can add it manually), PLT OPT1 and 2 do have it added straight away.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Sorry, edited to avoid further confusion!