Thread: Tars Key Mapping question

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Tars Key Mapping question

I prolly could have tagged this onto the end of an existing TARS post, but I didn't want to hijack a thread.

I have TARS set up so far as I know, but wanted to verify what I think I know. I did some Googling, and while there are a number of posts, they all seem to assume the reader is familiar with the basic operation. The documentation for the app didn't cover the basics, that I could see. I guess I need an ID-10-T form
    I did the set up and everything seems good, but I have no way of testing right now.

For key assignments, I mapped the keys to match DCS, AM "forward", FM "back", UHF "down". I mapped "up" to Team Speak transmit.
    I am assuming that to talk to a squad-mate in game, I would:
    1. Make sure my radios are set to the right frequencies at start of mission.
    2. Select the radio I wish to transmit on by using the correct mic switch.
    3. Mic switch up to activate TS.

Would I default to UHF if I skipped step 2, or will it transmit to the last selected radio?

I also plan to set up the paddle switch as a modifier, and put the AI comms on modified settings to separate them out. I am quite open to any other suggestions on this that anyone may have, and if I have the procedure wrong, feel free to set me straight.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Negative. When TARS kicks in, mic up will no longer be TeamSpeak push-to-talk (PTT). TARS now assigns PTT to the forward, down, and back keys.

So, to modify your list above, to talk to a squad-mate:

1. Make sure my radios are set to the right frequencies at start of mission.
    2. Select the radio I wish to transmit on by using the correct mic switch AND SIMPLY HOLD IT TO SPEAK ON THAT RADIO.

which...is one of the main things that makes TARS so friggin awesome! Just like a real A-10 jockey

BTW, I didn't understand this for about the first 2 months I owned the Warthog throttle and was using TARS, so don't feel bad. :-)

For AI comms, I simply remapped my 1, 2, 3 keys, which were Autopilot by default (but are all on the HOTAS now so why bother with the keyboard). The nice thing about the 1,2,3 key locations for AI radios is that your fingers are already right near the F keys since you usually hit those next to select the radio menu item.

Also, highly suggest remapping the keyboard num pad to be be the CDU number keys, and clear all alpha letters on the keyboard to be simply the CDU alpha letters (A=A, B=B, etc). Helps with coordinates entry, and again, all of the commands you are losing on the keyboard you already have on the HOTAS anyway.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I am not sure wether you have set this or not, but from your description I think you might;

In the DCS keybindings page in the Options menu, you do NOT have to bind keys to the Mic Switch FWD, MID and AFT for TARS.
    You only have to bind the mic switch on your throttle (assuming you have a TM WH HOTAS) in the TARS control panel, because TARS does not do anything with the game interface. It just talks to teamspeak.

If you would like to have the communications menu appear in-sim for FWD, MID and AFT, then you should bind a key combination that you find handy to those entries in the keybindings page in the options menu.

So, in other words, TARS will function no matter what keys you have assigned in the sim to the Mic switch entries in-game (as long as you have mapped three joystick buttons to FWD, MID and AFT in TARS itself). The in-game binding only controls the comms menu system.

I have a G15 keyboard (new version with only 6 G-keys on the left) and a Warthog HOTAS, so I have bound the mic switch on the throttle to TARS, where FWD, MID (which is down on the switch) and AFT are bound in TARS itself and UP is my normal TS PTT.
    Then in the game I have bound SHIFT 1 - 3 to the mic switch entries, just like Joyride, to be able to pull up the comms menus.
    These keys I have forwarded in my G15 control panel to be on the G1, G2 and G3 key in memory bank 1 (there are 3). G4, G5 and G6 are TrackIR controls.
    In memory bank 2 I have the radio preset controls; G1-2, increase/decrease preset channel number FWD, G3-2, increase/decrease preset channel number MID, etc.
    In memory bank 3 I have the radio volumes configured in the same way as the preset channel controls in bank 2.

(On a sidenote, I think the G510 keyboard is a much better fit for us simmers on a budget as far as building a pit goes. That keyboard has six rows of three keys to assign functions to AND 3 memory bank. I might upgrade my G15 to one of those soon. )

Works like a charm.
    Last edited by Yassy; 11Apr12 at 07:40.

AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Thanks for posting joyride, very helpful and informative response. I will be setting up my keyboard as you suggest...sounds like common sense! It's great when the more senior and experienced in this group share their set up info...very helpful to the newer members, thanks again.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Awesome!
    Thanks for the great replies! I will get busy doing some more key mapping when I get home tonight. Setting 1,2,3 for AI comms is a great idea. I can also see now why there is so much excitement for TARS !
    I have a G15 keyboard, the older one with the full bank on the left side, and will look at doing some mapping there as well, as this will let me easily do the CDU keyboard re-map.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help, I think this is going to make things a LOT easier!

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    Awesome!
    Thanks for the great replies! I will get busy doing some more key mapping when I get home tonight. Setting 1,2,3 for AI comms is a great idea. I can also see now why there is so much excitement for TARS !
    I have a G15 keyboard, the older one with the full bank on the left side, and will look at doing some mapping there as well, as this will let me easily do the CDU keyboard re-map.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help, I think this is going to make things a LOT easier!
    I'm finishing my G15 profile and once I'm done I'll post it

I know Severn has G13 fully programmed I think

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I am using my G13 as well and have it mapped as a UFC controller and some convenient random stuff like lights in bank 2 to keep me from having to turn my head so often.

As said, the G15 is mapped for radio comms and TIR control.

I think the newer G510 would be great with its three rows of 6 keys (2 lines of 3 keys) on the side.
    That would make a very convenient layout to map stuff like this.

It's good stuff!
    Let's hope my birthday comes soon.

AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

Lebanon
       Lebanon

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    NRG, I'd be interested in your G15 profile, please let me know when you're done with it.

Many thanks.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I never thought of assigning "G" keys (I have a G-15 as well) to radio frequency changes. Simply brilliant.
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]