Thread: Trigger (Gun PAC)

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    No you don't use PAC with rockets. It's another example of simmers creating solutions to problems that don't exist.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Well, I found it helps in keeping the jet steady along the slant line when going for a rocket attack. But judging from your response I shouldn't need to do that so if I have trouble keeping it steady w/o PAC I'm probably doing something else wrong, somewhere.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Yep, if you can't keep the jet steady for 3-5 seconds then there is another problem that needs working on first.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Probably my low quality joystick but I have a hardware upgrade planned which is likely to include a HOTAS and a proper TrackIR instead of my home made FreeTrack which only works at times it feels like doing so.

Aside from that, is it good practice to preemptively trim a few clicks nose down prior to entering the dive for the run? Because sloppy hardware left aside that is about the only thing I could come up with which would prevent me from keeping the jet steady for those few seconds.
    Last edited by JayPee; 21Oct14 at 13:18.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    You should always be trimming the aircraft to a "hands off" condition. I wouldnt add trim before your run, compensate with trim to set your initial wire down the chute. Everything happens very quickly so the sooner you can get established at your proper descent angle and trimmed to maintain that angle the more accurate youll become for all weapons.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    Thanks Stuka, Baxter, Eddie, and JayPee for the fantastic replies and for keeping the thread going to further the explanation.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    It is a valid technique to add one click of trim for every 10 knots you anticipate to gain during the dive while on "base". It results in a nose-heavy stick during roll-in, but will make your life easier at track and release.

For example, if the weapon delivery sled shows a base airspeed of 275KIAS and a release airspeed of 325KIAS, go ahead and give 5 clicks of nose-down trim.

Also, the DCS implementation of PAC is not right. You should be able to use stick and rudder to adjust your aimpoint. When PAC-1a is active, and the stick or rudder is moved enough to override the SAS inputs, IFFCC will enter PAC-1b and the jet will respond to flight control inputs. From there you can either squeeze the trigger to PAC-2 and shoot, or release the trigger to restart the cycle.

In DCS, it seems no amount of control inout has the ability to override PAC-1a. At least, not the last time I checked.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Baxter (21Oct14), JayPee (21Oct14)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    So in short PAC-1a is a means to keep your jet on its current attitude to the best of the system's ability, whereas PAC-1b allows for small inputs and thereby a small change of the current attitude, right?

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Yes.
    But 1a and 1b difference is not modeled in DCS. You have PAC-1 and PAC-2.
    So everything said before is the DCS implementation.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Trigger (Gun PAC)

Yeah I'm fine with that (well, not entirely but that's one for another topic), as long as I am aware where DCS is lacking real life implementation. And that is probably the most frustrating part for me, having to take DCS for granted, not knowing any better, assuming that is how the actual thing works.. and subsequently being laughed at by those who do know.

Luckily there's quite some people around here who feel like shedding light on such topics!

But to continue on Noodle's post, say I do want to adjust my aim a bit in the real jet while being in PAC 1a, the IFFCC will switch to PAC 1b upon detecting control inputs (of which I assume a certain input movent treshold has to be exceeded). Will it revert back to PAC 1a again after my small final adjustment has been completed and controls are back in their neutral positions, or will it remain in PAC 1b until I either continue with PAC 2 or abort the run?
    Last edited by JayPee; 21Oct14 at 22:36.