Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maverick Employment

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Yes I've been Noodle'd myself a couple of times in the past few weeks. It basically comes down to this: you ask a question with perhaps one or two subquestions and overnight you get a full page reply which is going to take at least 20 minutes to consume, background Googling included.

Which is great, ofcourse!
    Last edited by JayPee; 08Jan15 at 08:32.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Sorry guys. Limited time this morning before work; I'll reply tonight after work.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PFunk View Post
    Noodle is like an interactive encyclopedia. I feel confident therefore in throwing keywords at him like a search engine and getting lots of great information in return. I'm not even going to write a sentence because I feel it might inhibit some information from spilling out.

Query: Request all: Maverick - Adjust Boresight
    Maybe I should start my own website: www.letmenoodlethatforyou.com?

The term "adjust" or "ADJ" refers to the Maverick Reticle Boresight procedure, which is different than the Maverick Seeker Boresight procedure. Both procedures should be performed each time the CICU is powered on, because the boresight parameters are stored in volatile memory.

The boresight procedures allow the pilot to change the default (caged) seeker position to correct for boresight errors due to misalignment of launchers on the aircraft pylons, or to boresight the missile on a target acquisition aid. Boresighting more accurately places HUD symbols, which minimizes the time required to lock on the desired target by reducing or eliminating the slewing. Boresighting also allows CICU controlled functions like Ground Stabilize and SLAVE TO SPI to work accurately.

The seeker boresight is accomplished first, and sets the caged depression angle. A boresight at 70 mils depression is common for low-altitude employment, while 150 mils can be used for medium altitude. The steps for performing a seeker boresight can be recalled using the mnemonic LAPTO:

L - LOCK. Lock onto a target.

A - AUTO. Select AUTO mode by moving the BOAT switch to center. "SEEKER BORESIGHT" appears on the MFCD

P - PIPPER. Set the Depressible Pipper to the desired boresight position. Fly the pipper onto the target.

T - TMS FWD/SHORT. With the pipper centered on the locked target, press TMS FWD/SH to accept the boresight. "SEEKER BORESIGHT" appears in reverse video. Recage the missile.

O - OUT of AUTO. Move the BOAT switch out of the center position.

Confirm the new boresight by flying the depressible pipper onto the target and verifying that the Mav tracking gate on the MFCD is also pointing at the target.

The Reticle Boresight is accomplished next, and ensures that the HUD "wagon wheel" is accurately positioned on top of the newly boresighted position. The steps for accomplishing the Reticle Boresight can be recalled the mnemonic ADE:

A - ADJUST. Select the ADJ OSB on the MFCD. "MB" should appear above the HUD wagon wheel symbol.

D - DMS. Action the DMS button in the appropriate direction to center the "wagon wheel" on the Depressible Pipper.

E - ENTER. Press the UFC ENTER key to save the changes.

This is a video that Snoopy posted of an A-10A boresighting an AGM-65D. Note that because its an A-model, he refers to the Option Select Panel, which does not exist on the A-10C. The steps are identical, just substitute the controls mentioned above instead. Go to 3:15 in the video:

Note that each launcher requires its own boresight, since the CICU adjusts for parallax error separately. If carrying multiple missiles on LAU-88s, the boresight is applied to each missile as it is activated. Therefore, only one missile on each launcher needs to be boresighted.

Also note that in DCS, the missiles always have a perfect boresight, so it's not critical to perform this step in the game. The only time you need to do it is if you actually wish to change the default boresight to a lower depression for medium-altitude work.
    Last edited by Noodle; 09Jan15 at 05:32.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

doctapp (29Aug15), El_Roto (09Jan15), Gunny (12Oct15), Hansolo (12Oct15), JayPee (09Jan15), Kimi (29Aug15), PFunk (09Jan15), ptako (13Oct15), Ski (30Aug15), Stuka (09Jan15), Toneking (10Jan16)

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Maybe I should start my own website: www.letmenoodlethatforyou.com?
    I'd probably make it my homepage.

Now you say this should be done everytime the CICU is turned on which would mean that its a procedure done on every sortie? If thats the case I imagine pilots would develop some way to fit this into their flight thats not intrusive to their flight plan and timings. Would a normal way to do this be then to lock onto your wingman or would they use known and/or opportunistic 'targets' along the way?

What mode are they manipulating the Maverick in? I never use sensor mode so I don't know if you can lock onto things in it but I can't imagine you'd want to lock onto a friendly aircraft with Master Arm engaged.

Lastly if I understood correctly you said that in DCS by default we are boresighted to 70mils.

This is all very interesting and I appreciate the knowledge very much.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Yes, Maverick boresights are performed every sortie, by every aircraft, on every launcher. It's possible to perform the boresight on a ground target but the most common method, by far, is against an airborne target - usually your wingman. All it requires is flying in combat trail for a few minutes.

Standard practice is to also load mavericks in DSMS-TRAIN, so that missile video is available with the Master Arm in TRAIN. The seeker boresight is then accomplished from there.

The default boresight is 70ish mils in real life; in DCS its probably exactly 70 mils, but I haven't had a reason to check in quite a while. You should be able to just run the depressible Pipper down to the Wagon Wheel and see what it says.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Hah! Again something I didn't know. I was aware of the adjustment functions because they're mentioned in the HOTAS switches layout but no clue what it is for..

I am not sure I understand all of it correctly though. Reticule boresighting makes sense, the way I read it it's like adjusting the sight of a rifle so you aim at where your barrel is pointing (yes, I know there's bullet trajectory which you would take into account in case of a rigle but I couldn't come up with a better comparison). In this case, you have the wagon wheel point at where the MAV seeker is pointing at. Boresighting the seeker is something different as I understand it does two things:

1. Correcting misalignment.
    2. Off setting the default seeker position so by default it is already aimed more towards your general target area (70 mils for low alt., 150 mils for medium alt.)

I can imagine the purpose of #2 as it makes life a bit easier, but if you're slaving the MAV to any of the other SOI's SPI anyway you don't really care where it is pointing at by default, right?

I can't get my head around #1 though. What is misaligned in this case? I am not comparing the wagon wheel with the seeker's crosshair because that's what I'm adjusting during reticule boresighting. So what am I comparing and adjusting/aligning?
    Last edited by JayPee; 09Jan15 at 09:54.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    The physical LAU-117/LAU-88 can be slightly out of alignment when mounted to the pylon, resulting in the missile seeker pointing somewhere other than where the IFFCC/CICU thinks its pointing. IFFCC/CICU assumes that everything is perfectly aligned with 0 mils of error, but that's generally not true.

So you need to boresight the seeker using at aiming reference at a known azimuth and elevation - the depressible pipper. While accomplishing that, you can use the opportunity to change the depression to something more tactically advantageous if desired. Once that is complete, you have to adjust the wagon wheel to correctly account for the new seeker LOS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

doctapp (29Aug15)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Maverick Employment

Ah so the IFFCC/CICU isn't monitoring or capturing the actual Mav's seeker head orientation, it assumes to know the orientation and is therefore not accounting for any discrepancies, right?
    Last edited by JayPee; 09Jan15 at 16:38.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Well it does, but it assumes that the initial position is perfect when in fact it is likely that the physical missile and rail are not perfectly aligned to the assumed boresight.

Said anither way: Even though the seeker position is known to be locked at the missile's longitudinal axis, the longitudinal axis is likely not physically aligned with the aircraft centerline. Think of it like aligning the INS...you've got to give it the correct starting position.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Coolhand (09Jan15), JayPee (09Jan15)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Got it!