Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GTX 980: anybody using one (or two)?

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

GTX 980: anybody using one (or two)?

I'm in the process of buying a new rig and I've got this setup in my mind but I'm still not sure on the GPU. I'm thinking about an ASUS OC'd 980 but since it'll cost me €590 for the GPU alone I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into... Currently I'll be simming on one 1920x1080 but when the Rift comes out and when it proves to be feasible (higher res, fonts readable) I'll get me one.

Anybody around here who can share his experiences with this card?

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    No, but honestly don't buy one yet.

If you really can't wait, get a GTX 970 for now (60% of the cost for 90% of the performance) and then pick up another (most likely even cheaper) one when the rift is released.

Or you could do what I'm doing and wait until there is a firm release date on the rift and then see what kind of hardware you can afford closer to the time. Chances are it will be faster/cheaper.

I'd also wait to see what kind of system runs EDGE best before jumping the gun on any upgrade decisions.

The 970 is stupidly good for the price though. Almost as quick as a 780Ti, with an extra gig of vram, 100 watts less power draw and HALF the price the 780Ti was this time last year.
    Last edited by Howie; 11Nov14 at 11:12.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I understand your motivation to wait for EDGE but if a 980 or 970 isn't enough, there isn't anything to improve anyway for EDGE. The way I see it, a 980 is either overkill or enough for EDGE. If EDGE requires anything more than that, we're having a game for which there is no hardware and I seriously doubt that Nvidia will take DCS World into account for their 2015 roadmap.

About a 970 SLI vs a 980, I've been wandering around with that idea as well. However, up until I've always taken the ROT to heart that a single GPU is preferable vs SLI and I'm kind of sceptic when it comes to ED's promises of multi GPU support.

Hmmm... choices choices choices...

My rig's costing me around 1,000 EUR w/o the GPU so around 1,600 EUR with a 980 included. I could buy the rig with no graphic card and buy one after EDGE comes out.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I understand that, but the rift is supposed to benefit from SLI by allowing each card to draw the image displayed to each eye.

It's not certain, but I expect you would see much better performance from a pair of 970's than a single 980.

Worst case scenario - You buy a 970 now and find out that DCS and EDGE have issues with SLI and VR. Your frame rate is only going to be 10-15% worse than if you'd bought a 980 and you'll be €200 richer.

Best case scenario - EDGE, VR and SLI work seamlessly this time next year. You pick up another 970 with the €200 you saved and have 60-70% better frames.

WILD CARD OPTION: You buy a GTX 1080 next year for the same money you would have spent on a 980 this year.
    Last edited by Howie; 11Nov14 at 11:33.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Guess you have a point (three actually) there... It's an extremely shitty time to buy new HW not knowing what ED will do and more important, WHEN they will do something and also not knowing what Nvidia will do in Q1 and Q2 of 2015, but I'm delaying it for about 6 months now and I really can't continue like this on my current notebook.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Yeah, I suppose there are always reasons not to upgrade.

I went from a 560Ti to a 770 in January and now regret not waiting for the 970 though!

Personally, I'd just pick one of those up now which will at least tide you over until the rift. The 980 is a waste of money and I think you'd regret it if Nvidia released a much faster card in a few months.

I'm still waiting to see what they 'could' do. Imagine a 8 billion tranistor chip on a 20nm process with a 512-bit memory interface... That would destroy anything.
    Last edited by Howie; 11Nov14 at 12:02.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Also JayPee, do yourself a favour and buy an SSD. Best purchase I ever made. The newer Samsung ones are excellent.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Already have one! Samsung 840

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Good choice! Me too

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Damn, now you've got me thinking about upgrading again! Just looking at this which seems like a very reasonable price...

www.ebuyer.com/663848