Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GTX 980: anybody using one (or two)?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I'm going to echo Howie's sentiments about waiting until EDGE is released before upgrading. You're shooting in the dark otherwise and that's a lot of money to spend without knowing what it's going towards. I can understand the pressure to upgrade, especially with your mentioning that you're running a notebook right now (yikes!) but, all things considered, I strongly urge you to wait until DCS gets its act together and gives us a proper multithread processor, GPU supporting sim.

I'm also dying to upgrade but have no idea what I'll need to run EDGE. There's even a chance I won't need to: I've got multi-threading turned off and my 700 series AMD GPU isn't running anywhere near capacity. If EDGE delivers, my rig will finally be able to bare its teeth.

Here's hoping!
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to El_Roto For This Useful Post:

Baxter (11Nov14)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    So when do you think edge will come out? Because I'm wanting to upgrade bad myself?
    Adapt.... Improvise.... And Overcome....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Sorry to disappoint you Roto but EDGE isn't going to support multi-threading or even make use of more physical cores than DCS does at the moment. It's just the Eagle Dynamics Graphics Engine that's being updated so you might benefit from slightly better performance due to DX11 offloading some of the graphics workload to the GPU, but overall CPU usage will still be as rubbish as it is now (one core for sound, one for everything else).

As for when we'll see it, ED said "sometime later in 2012" originally. Make of that what you will.
    Last edited by Howie; 11Nov14 at 18:49.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EL_Roto
    I've got multi-threading turned off and my 700 series AMD GPU isn't running anywhere near capacity.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this Roto... this concept doesn't make sense to me. You've turned off multi-threading? In what sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Sorry to disappoint you Roto but EDGE isn't going to support multi-threading or even make use of more physical cores than DCS does at the moment.
    Howie,

First, as I understand, DCS is already multi-threaded. What it does not do is support more than two threads. Second, while I agree nothing "officially" published about EDGE affirms additional core support (real or virtual) I've seen nothing that denies that as a strategy to improve overall performance graphically. I get a much more confident sense from your reply that it won't. Do you have a reference for that assertion? I'd very much like to see it!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I wonder if you can somehow go into a config file and force it to use more threads. I play Arma 3 and you can do that with it as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    I wonder if you can somehow go into a config file and force it to use more threads. I play Arma 3 and you can do that with it as well.

No, you can't. Arma was designed with the ability to support more cores, and is artificially limited and can be unbound through a configuration. DCS' engine is not capable at present of generating additional threads.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    So would it behoove me to wait or not that big of a deal and just upgrade whenever. I'm looking at getting the 970 as well unless something else comes along a bit better for around the same price?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Thanks for your contributions, I've taken the above into account. Will reply with more detail tomorrow, going to bed now.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    Howie,

First, as I understand, DCS is already multi-threaded. What it does not do is support more than two threads. Second, while I agree nothing "officially" published about EDGE affirms additional core support (real or virtual) I've seen nothing that denies that as a strategy to improve overall performance graphically. I get a much more confident sense from your reply that it won't. Do you have a reference for that assertion? I'd very much like to see it!
    Sorry, I meant DCS isn't going to use a any more cores than it already does. I got a bit confused between multi-threading and hyper-threading (I think that might be what El_Roto turned off).

Also, I don't know that for a fact. That's just the impression I got from reading what I could find on the forums. Lots of posts like this around:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...3&postcount=62

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Yeah, I haven't seen anything official about it either for suggesting they'll support it or not. I wouldn't take that post or anything not directly from Wags as anything other than speculation/assumption.

That said, the support of additional threads seems like a big enough deal that they would announce it. Still, it's a resource on the machine that can be used to gain some of the benefits of DCS 2.0 they espouse, so I wouldn't make any assumptions that it's not implicit.

For example, the Dedicated Server that is supposed to accompany DCS 2.0. Now while this may be limited to "included" support for things like disabling 3D rendering (which can already be done), improvement of memory handling (a BIG problem on dedicated servers today) , and mission management... DCS hosts are severely constrained by the support for only 2 cores. (# of ground units, behavior of ground units, scripts, etc... NOT the look of the ground units, which is being handled by EDGE). When the host CPU tops out, lag/warping/latency is substantial. No amount of work on the IG will change that. So my hope is that if they're serious about dedicated server support, this is part of what they're resolving, the CPU constraints.

Again, that is only hope. But "Dedicated Server" is one of the supposed features of DCS 2.0