Thread: Mavericks: why are IR & EO almost always loaded together?

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Mavericks: why are IR & EO often loaded together?

I'm curious.. A lot of loadouts I see you guys using as well as loadouts I find on Google Images often contain both IR and EO types of AGM-65s. Why is this, why not two of the same type? I was thinking that with both types loaded you have one of each with its own pros and cons but as soon as you fire either one you loose this advantage, so this must not be the reason.

And for those loadouts with only IR Mavericks, I assume they are for night ops because you can't use EO at night.

Thanks

Jp
    Last edited by JayPee; 16Dec14 at 14:21.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    It's down the the way each sensor type works really. And i matters a lot in desert environments.

The Maverick sensor (regardless of type), and most optical/IIR sensors for that matter, work via contrast. That is the pick out "objects" that have a distinct contrast from their surroundings (the background).

While a given object may have a high contrast in visible light, it may have no contrast at all in IIR, or vice-versa. This effect is especially common in the desert at sunrise and sunset where the temperature of the terrain and the temperature of vehicles crosses for a short period, rendering IIR missiles useless. Equally if it's really hot, the terrain and vehicles can be totally without contrast during the day in the high sun hours.

You get the exact same issue with CCD sensors at night, of course, and also if the object is well camouflaged you can find that there is insufficient contrast for the sensor to track it.

By carrying each type of Mav sensor you increase the chance that you'll be able to get a solid track and be able to fire.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

El_Roto (16Dec14), Griffin (16Dec14), JayPee (16Dec14)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Mavericks: why are IR & EO almost always loaded together?

Thanks once more for a detailed answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    By carrying each type of Mav sensor you increase the chance that you'll be able to get a solid track and be able to fire.
    So the reason behind it is what I was already assuming: having the ability to use either one based on what the situation requires.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    While a given object may have a high contrast in visible light, it may have no contrast at all in IIR, or vice-versa. This effect is especially common in the desert at sunrise and sunset where the temperature of the terrain and the temperature of vehicles crosses for a short period, rendering IIR missiles useless. Equally if it's really hot, the terrain and vehicles can be totally without contrast during the day in the high sun hours.

You get the exact same issue with CCD sensors at night, of course, and also if the object is well camouflaged you can find that there is insufficient contrast for the sensor to track it.
    A detail I assume is currently not modeled in DCS. Or at least I haven't been able to notice it.
    Last edited by JayPee; 16Dec14 at 21:50.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    The maverick modeling in DCS is simplistic to say the least. None of this stuff is modeled sadly.