Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ITT as reference in formation flying?

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PFunk View Post
    Here's a question.

Does this ITT limit compared to the real A-10 mean that the DCS A-10 never reaches correct rated thrust output, or that the DCS A-10 reaches rated or similar thrust output to the real one at a lower ITT?
    Very interesting question indeed..

Snoopy, Noodle, Eddie, anyone?

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    I don't know on that one. Not sure how to verify in DCS really.

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Of course in real life the engine's thrust varies as well. The testbed will have pass off limits so both installed engines will have different thrust levels. Moreover, once installed engine performance will typically degrade over time. Depending on engine type and monitoring systems it is possible to monitor performance and once certain thresholds are breached an engine change is performed.

I know this doesn't address the specific question but it does give an insight into RL and that rated thrust and actual thrust are 2 different things.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I understand what you mean but that difference is probably marginal compared to the difference between the RL 10C's trust and DCS. There is still a discrepancy between RL and DCS.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    This is our answer for questions from lastnight in the classroom. Good shit Noodle, thanks for the effort. There is always a good reasion to do things that we are told to do. An Old Drill sergant told me to just do it...you'll learn why later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have a Letherman....I'll fight!!

"The Pit": http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=894

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    It really isn't a question of the engines thrust output. Static thrust is just that. An engine on a stand in a standard atmosphere at standard temperature. The equations put simply are just a force equation without subtracting any drag as its static. Without being able to measure the pressures entering or leaving the engine you'll never be able to see if the engine actually is attaining it's 8900 lbs of static thrust. Maybe ED did those calculations but we certainly don't have the means to know as far as I know. Cockpit instrumentation just isn't good enough. Maybe if we had a utility to get pressure data from the T2 probe as well as pressure from the T5 EGT temp sensor you could feasibly find static thrust....but I doubt those systems are in place on the engine itself.

But trigger is right there are so many factors that go into how much thrust an engine produces and it's impact on performance that I'm sure ED simply worked the engine to produce "realistic" performance parameters without actually producing an accurate engine model. Does DCS model thrust degradation with altitude? I have no idea...does performance appear to suffer at altitude...obviously. but is it because of engine thrust output? I hope so but who knows. A Jt8-d engine puts out 17000 lbs of static thrust generally. At FL300 it produces just under 6000 lbs of thrust. Imagine what the TF-34 puts out that high.

It would be interesting to hear what ED put into it originally...and have since taken out. I vaguely remember being able to flame out and compressor stall the DCS A10 but that was many many versions ago.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baxter For This Useful Post:

Noodle (02Feb15), Trigger (02Feb15)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    There is still a discrepancy between RL and DCS.
    There is your understatement of the week! Lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter For This Useful Post:

JayPee (02Feb15)