Thread: Hog HOTAS Discussion/Questions

Poland
       Poland

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Ok, so it is a matter of personal preference, but now just wondering How does it look in RL - I mean is the offset adjustable in A10C?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    It is not adjustable on the real aircraft.

Poland
       Poland

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Just received and installed warthog extension.
    I must say, if you can get it, do it! I can really feel the difference.

Removed X,Y axes curves I had before and know still have a very high precision of making small corrections(especially during air refueling). The other thing is that know I have to really move the hand to make a maximum performance roll which is kind cool feeling. Besides it looks great

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I got my Hog HOTAS yesterday as a replacement to my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro (...). So far it feels like a great piece of hardware. I stumbled upon two issues though, wondering if you guys experience the same..

1. The left throttle has about 2mm of free movement to wiggle in the direction of throttle movement whereas the right one has about 4mm of free momevement. Both throttle levers can wiggle about 1mm from left to right. Do I have a crappy HOTAS or do all have this?

2. I've installed TARGET for the sole purpose of turning OFF the LEDs. However, after turning the computer OFF and ON again the LEDs are back to their default state.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I have exactly the same two problems. The China hat on my 'hog is also really stiff and the pinky switch for my lights is quite loose. Unfortunately I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect warthog. On the plus side, I've had mine for two years and it's still solid as a rock aside from the problems it had when it arrived.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    I got my Hog HOTAS yesterday as a replacement to my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro (...). So far it feels like a great piece of hardware. I stumbled upon two issues though, wondering if you guys experience the same..

1. The left throttle has about 2mm of free movement to wiggle in the direction of throttle movement whereas the right one has about 4mm of free momevement. Both throttle levers can wiggle about 1mm from left to right. Do I have a crappy HOTAS or do all have this?

2. I've installed TARGET for the sole purpose of turning OFF the LEDs. However, after turning the computer OFF and ON again the LEDs are back to their default state.
    Not sure about Item 1, I'll check mine, as of last evening I had noticed no issues with throttle, just the loose nut using it. You've begun a Love/Hate relation ship. We fuss with it cause there's nothing better..

The LEDs will return to on at PC power up. Using script, I have a Shifted AutoPilot button to toggle the LEDs (my PC start-up routine). I'm told we can add a dead zone? (applied in DCS options?) to the zoom axis to fix the bumpy bino's caused by LED=On. The GUI can also turn them off, and Script not required, Run GUI first, LED=OFF, then close GUI. Now start DCS,(also done as PC start-up routine).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have a Letherman....I'll fight!!

"The Pit": http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=894

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Throttles are wiggly. Period. All 6 that I handled were wiggly. You will get used to it or better yet, ignore it

I don't use Target software.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    My PC is set up to completely cut power to all USB outputs when turned OFF or in hibernation mode. This erases the throttle's memory everytime. Either I have to adjust the BIOS to keep USB devices powered on or I have to turn off the LEDs after every wake/boot.

Btw, hopefully you didn't 'handle' 6 HOTAS because the first 5 broke..?

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    What do we know about TM Warthog?

Throttle:
    • Wiggly / wobbly
      All 6 or seven TMWH throttles that I handeled were wobbly in term of left / right movement.
    • Can brick (*)
      One of my throttles bricked! Always make sure your throttle is at latest firmware!! Bricking occured on old firmwares when certain combination of switches were left in closed position on PC power-up.
    • LED's supposedly interfere with slider
      Did not confirm it my self but rumor is the jittery effect on slider is cause by LED's

Stick:
    • Can bulk (*)
      Had one "bulk USB device". Back then we did not diagnose it like we did now.
      BAD CONTACT in DIN connector will cause the "usb bulk device". To quote TM support "Base will not function without handle"
    • Can de-calibrate
      Did not belive it untill I saw it. Game controller reading was almost at bottom right corner....
      To quote TM support "use calibration tool only when necessary"
    • Stick/stickition
      Stock grease is just terrible. It's some industrial grade grease. Just clean it and replace it with Molkyote ML30E or something like that..
      To quote TM support "If grease is ment for plastics it will not void warranty". It did not void mine..
    • Can rotate
      The design is just horrible. Two caps on the ball joint can get slightly loose and then you can notice the twist in the stick. SO much more noticable when you have offcenter extension.

Should I come up with soemthing extra I'll post

And the calibration tool
    Attachment 1655

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    Btw, hopefully you didn't 'handle' 6 HOTAS because the first 5 broke..?
    Nah just friends of mine.

Only one died, see above post