Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Safe Escape Maneuvers

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeDx View Post
    Yes, the SEM setting drives the IFFCC MRC/MRS symbology to ensure safe separation from fragmentation.

I didn't see a complete list of SEM's in the other threads, so here's a quick look at the ones available:

NONE - Selecting NONE results in the IFFCC not calculating fragmentation.

CLM - (Climbing) After release, start a 4g wings-level pull within 2 seconds to. Power to MAX as the nose comes through the horizon, and continue pulling to 20deg nose-up. Reduce g until 30deg nose-up is achieved.

TRN - (Turning) After release, go to MAX power and initiate a 4g loaded roll to 60deg of bank. Maintain 4g while reducing pitch attitude to 5deg nose-low, maintaining the descending turn for at least 60deg of heading change.

TLT - (Turning, Level Turn) After release, select MAX power and initiate a 4g wings-level pull. Nearing the horizon, initiate a loaded roll and maintain 4g for at least 60deg of heading change.

LST - (Level Straight Through) After release, fly a level, constant speed, non-turning flight path for the the longest weapon TOF plus 3 seconds. (I don't think this is selectable in the A-10)
    I have some trouble understanding the difference between TRN and TLT. However, after stumbling upon this post I think I've got it.. I was hoping somebody could verify. From what I understand, the TLT:

From the delivery dive flight pull 4G wings level until you have the FPM on the horizon and only then initiate a roll and pull a 4G turn until you've reached 60 deg. of heading change (or more) without climbing/diving.

and the turn:

From the delivery dive flight pull a 4G climbing turn so you ideally end up with both a 60 deg. heading change (or more) and a 5 deg. dive flight.

Am I right? If so, this would mean that at the end of the TRN SEM I am at an even lower altitude than my delivery altitude because I've never pulled the FPM above the horizon line during this maneuver? Somehow I find this odd but I'm sure one of you guys can tell me why this is not odd at all and even useful in certain situations..

No offense meant but the TRN and TLT YT clips didn't really help me get a grasp on the differences between those two either. I guess I don't see the key differences by watching the clips.
    Last edited by JayPee; 05Jan15 at 15:07.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Could be wrong but I think the TRN is used to get back down near the deck and terrain masking ASAP.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

JayPee (05Jan15)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Are you saying my understanding of the TRN maneuver is correct?

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    A TRN SEM would be used on a low angle attack like a Maverick bump attack at low level to indeed get back down in the weeds to avoid retaliation. A TLT is also used for low angle attacks but you actually start the roll nearing the horizon if you start it at the horizon you'll be late. A terrific TLT example is on Noodles Range Target video.

So yes your correct that you'll end at a lower altitude after completing a TRN SEM.
    Last edited by Baxter; 05Jan15 at 15:43.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter For This Useful Post:

JayPee (05Jan15)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    OK but in contrast to the TRN, the TLT requires you to turn while on/near the horizon whereas the TRN has you turning immediately upon pulling away from the delivery flight path...

EDIT

Watching those range clips right now. The pilot (was it Noodle himself?) actually pulls too high a few times as during his TLT maneuver he ends up 5 deg. nose high before making the turn. That is, if according to the TLT practice you should not exceed the horizon line. If that is not a requirement than his TLT looks perfect.
    Last edited by JayPee; 05Jan15 at 15:47. Reason: busted by the grammar cop

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Yes a TLT is a fairly aggressive manuever to arrest descent and change heading to either avoid overflying the target on a gun pass or in the range target example to get out of the area as soon as possible after dropping bombs because by the nature of bombing you have to overfly the target. A TRN SEM is used when descending will not put you deeper into the threat envelope...as in my Maverick example. You should be able to Ripple your Mavs and then descending turn back down to egress the area terrain masking.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter For This Useful Post:

JayPee (05Jan15)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    OK, got it!

EDIT:

It seems I've found another post which answers my question as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeDx View Post
    Your choice of SEM - in part - helps IFFCC drive various HUD symbology in CCIP/CCRP modes, such as the Desired Release Cue (DRC), Minimum Release Cue (MRC), and the Valid Solution Indicator (VSI). All of which are used during computed deliveries to determine the proper attack geometry or "wire".

More importantly, these cues tell you when to abort a pass in order to avoid fragging yourself, dudding a weapon, or flying into the ground.

CLM is exactly what it sounds like. Upon release, attain 4g in 2 seconds and pull to 20 degrees nose up. Relax g and continue pulling to 30 degrees nose up.

TRN is a turning maneuver. After release, attain 4g in 2 seconds and begin a loaded roll in the desired direction. Turn at least 60 degrees before terminating the maneuver. This usually results in a descending turn.

TLT or "Turning, Level Turn" is slightly different. Attain 4g in 2 seconds and pull to the horizon. Select MAX power, unload and roll into ~80 degrees of bank then re-establish 4g while making a level turn of at least 60 degrees.
    Last edited by JayPee; 05Jan15 at 17:19.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Btw, is the MRS in 1.2.14 still (!!) bugged? Because if it isn't I'm doing something wrong in my run but I doubt that honestly..

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Well I'll give you one guess who is making the posts your referring to lol....And yes I'm pretty sure it is still bugged.

The A-10 doesn't make it into the change logs very often if at all
    Last edited by Baxter; 05Jan15 at 17:40.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Safe Escape Maneuvers

I know who

Yep and that's a sad thing considering it's their flagship. At least that's how I see the beauty.
    Last edited by JayPee; 05Jan15 at 17:55.