United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    Quick question, what's AWE?
    A tool Noodle was developing. We needed a couple items in DCS fixed or added but ED said no because the product was released.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Just curious, what did the tool include?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    It was a Windows application that expanded the weapon delivery planner functionality of DAPS and added the ability to create and save DCS compatible DTC files. It provided a GUI interface from which it was possible to create, edit, and save DSMS/TAD/CMS profiles, set IFFCC/HUD/CDU/SADL/MFCD/AAS/TGP preferences, manage radio presets, calculate aircraft performance and TOLD, etc.

There were a few things not saving correctly in DCS, a few things need to be exported (like the weapon data capture pages), and we needed ED to provide the ability for DCS to look first for an AWE DTC before falling back to the settings provided with the mission. But we never recieved the support we needed. Without that ability, AWE could only be used for single player, which defeated the purpose. So I stopped development.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Neck (10Jan15)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Questions regarding Mk-82 CCIP bombing training

That sucks! It seems this software package pretty much included everything ED should have delivered alongside their module. Pre-setting such settings would save us vpilots quite some time.
    Last edited by JayPee; 10Jan15 at 17:17.

Poland
       Poland

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Reading through the -34 this information should be recorded anytime the switch is set to ARM or TRAIN.
    I'm putting together a guide that'll hopefully help people understand the data.
    Great news. Thank you for the effort!

Poland
       Poland

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    That sucks! It seems this software package pretty much included everything ED should have delivered alongside their module. Pre-setting such settings would save us vpilots quite some time.
    So true! Having such tool we could really feel having a virtual cartridge in our hands... I am curious what were (are ?) the reasons behind this lack of support from ED side (product release is rather poor argument, at least for me). Nevertheless I hope eventually such a tool will be possible to implement one way or another as well as that most of the A10C bugs will be tackled.

Getting back on topic.
    Yesterday I created a mission and set the temperature in the mission editor to -15C. This should create a noticeable difference in feet between cockpit altimeter and true MSL readings, right?

In flight manual we can read:
    In NAV and Air-to-Air modes, the display is the uncorrected CADC barometric altitude. The displayed altitude in these modes should be the same as the cockpit altimeter. In GUNS, CCIP, and CCRP Modes, the displayed altitude is corrected by LASTE for installation errors, non-standard temperatures, and non-standard pressures.
    Questions - is LASTE corrected altitude equal to true MSL and is G ALT on second page of POS INFO the aforementioned LASTE corrected altitude?
    Apart the answers when I switch Master Mode to GUNS,CCIP or CCRP the displayed altitude does not change. Is this a known bug or am I doing sth wrong/not understand how it works?

And there is this section Delta Radar/EGI GPS Altitude Numerics in the flight manual which says:
    The first value is the difference between the true MSL altitude and the CADC pressure altitude. It is displayed as a signed 4-digit numeric followed by a “D.” Valid range is -9999 to 9999 in 1-foot increments.

The second value is the true MSL altitude computed by either adding radar altimeter altitude to steerpoint elevation or using GPS altitude. It is displayed below the delta value as a signed 5-digit numeric followed by an “R” or “G.” Valid range is -1000 to 32767 in 1- foot increments.
    The reason I asking all those question is this sentence:
    It's always better to use HOT elevation with the actual target elevation than to rely on the DTSAS Auto Elevation function (often referred to as "DTS").
    Noodle - this is all your fault

End questions are:
    -when higher than 5k feet, what is the best way to calculate/read true height above the target (including non standard atmosphere conditions)?
    - are all the systems mentioned above correctly implemented in DCS?
    - is such accuracy needed in the RL?
    Last edited by IronHog; 10Jan15 at 20:47.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I wonder if you put in for a 3rd party license you could sign up to sell AWE for like a dollar or of course whatever your time is worth Noodle maybe more. Everyone that owns the A10 would probably buy it. Just a thought to take it from a different direction.

Maybe you could get some more support...or maybe this has already been attempted...but if they are doing paid for missions surely they would help with paid for utilities. JUST a thought
    Last edited by Baxter; 10Jan15 at 21:29.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baxter For This Useful Post:

Dojo (11Jan15), Trigger (10Jan15)

Poland
       Poland

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I had this thought for a while as well. Still the biggest issue if understand correctly is that there is no API or rather some kind of interface which is required to get all needed data for the tool, so whatever the approach is it requires ED to make needed changes on their side first. As recently they opened up for third parties with API for modules and new maps development so maybe if approached in a formal way it could make a difference.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I wonder if you put in for a 3rd party license you could sign up to sell AWE for like a dollar or of course whatever your time is worth Noodle maybe more. Everyone that owns the A10 would probably buy it. Just a thought to take it from a different direction.

Maybe you could get some more support...or maybe this has already been attempted...but if they are doing paid for missions surely they would help with paid for utilities. JUST a thought
    Was thinking the same thing driving home from work today.

I would happily pay for it!

Norway
       Norway
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I would happily pay for it aswell! And I think many in the DCS community would!