United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Hi guys,
    Just thinking of getting my self a set of rudder pedals ready for when I'm finally going to be strapping in again in a few months. Is there much for me to consider, or is it as straight forward as going for Saitek. Any opinions / advice is welcome. Should I go for the 'pro flight' set?

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    By all account the Saitek combat pedals are very good for the money. I've had my Saitek Pro Flight pedals (the predecessor to the combat pedals) for about 8 years now and they are still going strong.

There are certainly better pedals out there, MFG Crosswinds these days, and the Simpeds before they stopped being made being truly exceptional. But they also cost the same as a TM Warthog.

The combat pedals do improve on a couple of the little niggles with the Pro Flight pedals as well (toe brake design).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Comrade (03Aug14)

Germany
       Germany

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I'm happy with my Combat Pedals

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    I have been using the Saitek Combat Pedals for about two years now and they are good pedals so far. The only complaint I have ever had about them is they are a little "notchy" in the center due to the detent ball they use to indicate the center position. After they are worn in it does get to be less noticeable. I think they were a good investment especially when landing in a crosswind.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper For This Useful Post:

Comrade (03Aug14)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I had the CH pedals for a long time, they were very good but they were just too close together. I have the Saitek combat pedals now and they really are fantastic pedals. The only issues as reaper said is the centering and my other gripe is the toe breaks have little to no back pressure. It would be nice to have to push against a spring or something to give a little more realistic pressure.

As for the Pros we have a set in our public sims and they take an absolute unrelenting beating and have been for 6 straight years, and they center and work as well as the day we got them. They really are robust pedals. The Combat pedals in the same arena have been broken in a matter of days. The aluminum pedal only goes so far and at the joint where metal meets plastic a novice throwing their feet around tends to snap them right off. Lol just a good durability test, nothing more, as a seasoned simmer would never treat their equipment that way.

Best Pedals sold today

1. MFG Crosswind
    2. Saitek Combat Pedals
    3. Saitek Cessna Pedals
    4. Saitek Pro Pedals
    5. CH pedals

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter For This Useful Post:

Comrade (03Aug14)

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    My Pro pedals are still going strong, but I "broke' them twice. Drove them off the rails by putting too much pressure on them once and then later uneven pressure on one of the pedals. My centre tension knob is totally broken and non functional but everything else still works, which is fine I don't use tension.

The one enduring truth of Saitek products is that they're flimsy plastic. They work great as long as you don't get drunk and play too hard.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PFunk For This Useful Post:

Comrade (03Aug14)

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Decent toe brake pressure is the one thing I wish the Saitek pedals had. My biggest simming regret is not buying a set of Simpeds with their force sensing toe brakes when they were around.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Comrade (03Aug14)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Ok, thanks guys for the feedback.....very informative. I think as a minimum, it'll be the Saitek Combat pedals, but , as I'm sure you all do, I quite fancy the crosswinds, although expensive.
    I think if I just considered rudder pedals for the A10, or fixed wing aircraft in general, the Saitek combat pedals would no doubt be good value for money. But if you take flying rotary aircraft into the equation, with anticipated more use and wear of the pedals....then maybe the Crosswind (and it's cost) becomes a little more palatable. ....

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Crosswinds are very much on my to buy list, but I'm waiting to see if he either does a version with more modern style pedals (ie not the Luftwaffe style ones it has now) or releases alternate pedal styles as options. I don't really like that style of pedal, although I'm sure they are better than the Saiteks having to move your whole foot to brake instead of just adding pressure with your tools/ball of your foot is the main thing I dislike about the Pro Flights

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Decent toe brake pressure is the one thing I wish the Saitek pedals had. My biggest simming regret is not buying a set of Simpeds with their force sensing toe brakes when they were around.
    YES. The toe brakes on my Pro pedals are crummy. If I look at the config panel it shows that my pedals actually don't even sense pressure until about 25% of travel and then it doesn't start at 0 it starts at about 25% of input level. Baffling and whats more it can't be because mine were previously broken because I highly doubt both pedals would independently be broken to the same exact degree.

Its more than functional but still. Saitek... yea.