Poland
       Poland

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts

TGP questions

After thorough read about TGP functions and usage I've got a few questions.
    On the TGP Standby Control Page there are additional set of options:
    - FLIR integration - manual says its not functional, but what is it used for in RL?
    - Start calibration - this is not simulated either, right? what is the purpose of the calibration?
    - calibration method - what is the difference between SHORT and LONG?

On the TGP MFCD A-G Page when FLIR is the active sensor and TST OSB is pressed a Gray Scale Strip is shown. How the test bar can be used? Is it of any use in the DCS?

The last question I have is about tracking mods. Based on the manual TGP in AREA mode is space stabilised on a scene and not tracking any specific object. In INR it remains fixed on a geographic reference point. I can not grasp what is the difference between those two?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IronHog For This Useful Post:

Gunny (17Jun15)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Very good questions I myself have always wondered this. Wish I could hop in a real a10 and push the buttons lol

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IronHog View Post
    After thorough read about TGP functions and usage I've got a few questions.
    On the TGP Standby Control Page there are additional set of options:
    - FLIR integration - manual says its not functional, but what is it used for in RL?
    - Start calibration - this is not simulated either, right? what is the purpose of the calibration?
    - calibration method - what is the difference between SHORT and LONG?

On the TGP MFCD A-G Page when FLIR is the active sensor and TST OSB is pressed a Gray Scale Strip is shown. How the test bar can be used? Is it of any use in the DCS?

The last question I have is about tracking mods. Based on the manual TGP in AREA mode is space stabilised on a scene and not tracking any specific object. In INR it remains fixed on a geographic reference point. I can not grasp what is the difference between those two?
    I just asked that very question in your O club. Was curious as to the difference in SHORT vs LONG calibration. Assuming time is a factor. Does it have any effect on the sim?

Glad I wasn't the only one wondering.

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    In the manual it's pretty clear about the INR-Area, now in the INR-Point i beleive the tgp will "kinda" calculate the inertia of the object it's tracking and continue moving with that inertia when the TGP is masked. In other words it's "guesstimating" the position of the moving object while the tgp is masked.

(now comes the time when Eddie or Snoopy come in and destroy my comment )

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IronHog View Post
    FLIR integration - manual says its not functional, but what is it used for in RL?
    Like all sensors, the FLIR looks at a specific piece of the EM spectrum. In this case, it's the Mid-Wave IR (MWIR) between 3 and 7 microns. This band, along with Long-Wave IR (LWIR) are also referred to as "thermal infrared" because objects primarily emit radiation at these wavelengths. The Near IR (NIR) and Short-Wave IR (SWIR) are primary reflected radiation from the sun.

In addition to seeing within a specific band, sensors also have a specific spectral and radiometric resolution. Spectral resolution is how sensitive the sensor is the varying wavelengths within the band, while radiometric resolution is how sensitive the sensor is to variations of intensity at a specific wavelength.

Generally, greater spectral resolution results in poorer radiometric resolution. For instance, the FLIR might be able to resolve a 0 degree object (presented as pure black) and a 1000 degree object (presented as pure white) in the same scene. Between these values are 256 shades of gray, so each shade represents about 4 degrees of temperature variation. Not bad, but what if you wanted to tell the difference between two objects that differ in temperature by only a few degrees? There would be hardly any contrast.

Tracking algorithms require contrast in order to identify and track objects. So we would need to increase the radiometric resolution in order to adequately image the two similar objects. We could do that by creating a better sensor that sees 1024 shades of gray (expensive), or we could change the spectral resolution to better suit our intended application.

FLIR integration settings for TGPs tune the spectral and radiographic properties of sensor to maximize contrast in varying environments, i.e. jungle vs. desert.

In DCS, this is unnecessary and not simulated.

Start calibration - this is not simulated either, right? what is the purpose of the calibration? What is the difference between SHORT and LONG?
    Not simulated. Like any calibration routine, the purpose is to remove error from the output. Errors are introduced by internal vibration, stray voltage, differential heating and cooling of components, etc.

The bar is used to ensure that the MFCD brightness and contrast settings are appropriate for FLIR imagery. Black should be black and white should be white. This ensures that FLIR imagery is properly displayed without a loss of contrast.

Point Track works just like a Maverick: sufficient contrast must exist to draw a bounding box around the object to be tracked. Tracking is accomplished by establishing the centroid of the bounding box. If insufficient contrast exists, Area Track will sample the entire scene and attempt to maintain LOS that way.

In INR, the TGP attempts to maintain LOS by calculating a point in 3d space using the azimuth/elevation along with the DTSAS generated terrain elevation at the point of intersection. It is based entirely upon aircraft and pod inertial data; no image processing is taking place because the image is assumed to be masked.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Baxter (17Jun15), Coolhand (17Jun15), Dojo (17Jun15), Gunny (17Jun15), Hansolo (17Jun15), IronHog (17Jun15), KIMB (18Jun15), Kimi (17Jun15), Ski (17Jun15), Snoopy (17Jun15), ZeroMass (17Jun15)