Thread: NTTR AREA Points (TRUE/Magnetic Variation deltas)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

NTTR AREA Points (TRUE/Magnetic Variation deltas)

Given that 2.5 is in release and hopefully ED is done tweaking mag var factors, (and in my efforts to create an IFG), I've revisited the magnetic variation sim deltas relevant to the public mission (2011 mission year).

A couple notes:

1. Ignoring the magvar for a moment: The DCS Nevada map appears to be consistently off by a degree for TRUE headings from real world. This is possibly due to the flatness of the map, but whatever the reason, it's off by a degree. To demo this, compare the headings between two points on Google Earth, and the same two points in the ME. You'll note about a one degree delta. Nothing to do about with this, but it's worth noting for the following reason: If you look at the in game magvar for 2011 (e.g. 12.4 at Nellis), and try to deduct that from a reference point in Google Earth, you'll consistently be off by a degree. So simply note that if checking true headings in Google Earth, subtract one degree (i.e. if it's true heading 007 in Google Earth, it's true heading 006 in the sim.)

2. The magnetic variation in Nevada increases as you move North West. For reference, at the extremes of the map, (South East corner) the 2011 magvar is 10.6. At the North West, it's 14.4.

3. Ignoring the extremes, here are a few more relevant magnetic variations for illustration purposes (2011): Nellis 12.4, DREAM 12.5, Mud Lake 13.2, PINE 12.4, FLUSH 12.8, TTR 13.1.

This affects the accuracy of the FLIP, the Area Points Radial/DME data within the NTTR section of the site, and any procedures you might be using with radials defined.

Honestly, the FLIP doesn't appear to need much updating. I looked at the Nellis departures and approaches in the latest version, and except for Nellis runway (e.g. Nellis runway 3 is actually magnetically 027.6, or 028, the FLIP shows 029). I didn't check non-Nellis charts, points, and headings because... why. (*maybe* TTR plates/charts are interesting to update, but meh).

However, the departure/recovery Area Points are off 1-2+ degrees in some spots, and those deltas are substantial for radial based nav. They're also inconsistent with the FLIP.

Stuka -

I'm already working to get the correct radials for the primary nav points; I'm happy to pass that along once I've run through it if you're interested.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

Noodle (08Jul18)

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    Stuka -

I'm already working to get the correct radials for the primary nav points; I'm happy to pass that along once I've run through it if you're interested.
    Yeah sure. Don’t remember all the sources I used back in time. Surely didn’t verify them all.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No for Nellis, I subtract 1 degree? So runway 30 will be 29?
    "Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroke View Post
    No for Nellis, I subtract 1 degree? So runway 30 will be 29?
    I'm not quite sure I understand the question, but in DCS for a given mission year a certain MAG VAR applies. Top of my head this is 12 degrees at Nellis AFB for the mission year of our NTTR mission. Aircraft instruments will indicate magnetic heading, Mission Editor will indicate true heading.

Hope this helps?

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

ALAM

492d vFS Pilot
    United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    A rule I learnt to help with variance for sailing, is

CADET: Compass ADd East, True.

So going from magnetic to true you would add an east variance or subtract a west variance, and vice versa for true to magnetic.

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for the replies.

So for example for runway 03 at Nellis, what course heading am I setting for the ILS?
    "Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,103 Posts
    Runway 03 doesn’t have ILS. Runway 21L does.
    You can refer to the Flip to know the headings. 209 in this case.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

Stroke in case you may not know, we have some FLight Info Pubs (aka FLIP) it is in our download section, this is the NTTR one: https://www.476vfightergroup.com/dow...do=file&id=405

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ah ok, thanks all. Will consult the FLIP.