Thread: Rudder pedals: which ones?

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Rudder pedals: which ones?

Now that I've got a HOTAS I'm considering rudder pedals. I've got 4 options:

CH Pro Pedals - EUR130
    Saitek Pedals - EUR110
    Saitek Combat Pedals - EUR180 (difficult to obtain, long delivery times)
    Saitek Cessna Pedals - EUR110

Considering that I've got relatively tall and strong legs I definitely don't want any cheap plastic stuff that can be easily broken yet I also don't want to pay the MFG Crosswind price. Purely based on pictures I'm thinking of the Saitek Cessna pedals because of their form, they don't require you to rest your entire foot in a frame. Also, the price I can get them for is pretty decent if you ask me. On the other hand I think I've read something about the older CH Pro Pedals being very reliable and durable.

Could you guys share your experiences?

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    I've got the Saitek Combat Pedals and have had them for almost 4 years with no issues. They're mostly plastic but holding up well.

Poland
       Poland

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I've got CH Pro Pedals currently, so i can shed some light on them from user perspective. Are they reliable and durable? Yeah, I would agree with that one. I bought them a couple of years back and used from time to time but for last year when I have been using them on the daily basis. Despite it is almost all a plastic thing they are still working the same way as at the beginning.

Unfortunately this is the only thing I like about them. For me personally they are not precise enough, I had to apply quite high deadzones and curves to make them usable in the sim. Other thing is that they have no configurable dampening adjuster which you may find in cheaper Saitek Cessna Pedals. Another one is, I don not like how Z axis self centering sliding mechanism works. Its rather jerky when it goes through the centering stage rather than being smooth and precise but still perceptible. And the last one, I would definitely want that the rudder pedals be more separated from each other as this is the case for other once (at least it seems so looking at the photos).

Me personally, definitely looking to buy Saitek Combat Pedals or even MFG Crosswind.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I've got the Saitek Combat Pedals and have had them for almost 4 years with no issues. They're mostly plastic but holding up well.
    I use the same ones and they work well, the CH pedals are too close together for me. For my Xmas list this year though, we have our eyes the Crosswind pedals.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Another vote for the Saitek Combat Pedals here. Had mine 2 years with no issues.

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I am going to take a look into where the Cessna pedals differ from the Combat Pro pedals. Their shape is roughly similar and they both have break axes. Considering the price difference I'd go with the Cessna ones if they can match the Pro Combat ones.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    I use the same ones and they work well, the CH pedals are too close together for me. For my Xmas list this year though, we have our eyes the Crosswind pedals.
    Dito, this whole message, My crosswinds will need to sit on the shelf till mid to late summer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have a Letherman....I'll fight!!

"The Pit": http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=894

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    I am going to take a look into where the Cessna pedals differ from the Combat Pro pedals. Their shape is roughly similar and they both have break axes. Considering the price difference I'd go with the Cessna ones if they can match the Pro Combat ones.
    It's literally just the footrests that differ. All the Saitek pedals are all the same internally. I just wanted metal footrests

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    It's literally just the footrests that differ. All the Saitek pedals are all the same internally.
    If this is the case I will definitely not pay the extra EUR 70 for the Combat ones.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Yeah, not really worth it for that price difference.

One thing I will say about the Saitek pedals - compared to a real aircraft the travel is short and the resistance is very linear. Increasing the dampening just makes them stiff throughout the whole range of motion. In a real aircraft, the resistance increases the further you push the pedals off centre (more air pushing against the rudder surface). A pneumatic spring would be great for this - I think some of the more expensive pedals might have that.

Come to think of it, the Saiteks feel like they were designed by someone who pushed the pedals of an aircraft while it was sat on the tarmac. Very realistic for taxiing (pretty much all I use them for in the A-10 anyway) but not so great in the warbirds where you want to 'feel' the aircraft.

What we really need is force feedback pedals
    Last edited by Howie; 30Jan15 at 14:46.