AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Apparently, the 69 jets simulated hitting 1,016 unique DMPIs that day in BSA, SEAD, OCA, and CAS roles. It was an homage to the 4th wing's final mission in WWII, where they struck 1,016 targets while destroying the Luftwaffe on the ground. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    1,016? With 69 jets? Ok, that is rather impressive, even simulated.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Great pic....but a maintainers nightmare....

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    There are more details, but here's the "official" story.

http://www.seymourjohnson.af.mil/new...p?id=123298198

Edit: crap, I see that the link I gave is the same text that appears at the link in the first post. Sorry. I couldn't access that link yesterday using my iPhone on the school's wifi.

Ok, to make up for my noob-like post, here are some details offered by a Mud Hen driver on another forum:

"From the Ops side, we flew two 30 minute vul's of oppossd SAT with blue and red suppplied by both Ops and FTU squadrons (plus GCI) and accomplished Mission Commander updrades....there was a 2-ship from each squadron that flew CAS with STS JTAC's from Pope (also accomplishing their qual's before going down range)...a 2-ship from each squadron flew un-oppossed SAT via low level (VR-87) with off-range attacks....finally a 4 ship from each squadron with 6x BDU-50's flew BSA at the range but had to plan attacks that weren't in the aircrew aid....they flew 15/25/35 degree attacks.

Wing Weapons cames (STS) up with point criteria with awards for best Pilot/WSO in each mission set: SAT had TOT, number of targets destroyed, points lost for getting shot down by Red,etc...Low level guys had TOT and judged against their release parameters compared to their plan...same for the BSA guys....CAS players had points for quickest time from 9-line to impact, etc.

Every aircraft regardless of primary mission had an SDB target attack during RTB...had to designate and transfer all DPI's off the HRM...points awarded for accuracy of designations as well as speed....fastest time from first designation to hitting the pickle button....I will tell you it takes a LONG time to designate/transfer 20 DPI's!
    "
    Last edited by Noodle; 18Apr12 at 22:43.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Great pic....but a maintainers nightmare....
    Yeah Strike eagles rarely land code 1 anyway. I can see it right now too. Every single one of those jets required a reconfig after that flight. Great pics and stories but very rarely do the guys that make it happen get a chance to sit back and enjoy it.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Yeah Strike eagles rarely land code 1 anyway. I can see it right now too. Every single one of those jets required a reconfig after that flight. Great pics and stories but very rarely do the guys that make it happen get a chance to sit back and enjoy it.
    Yup...here is a perfect example of that. This past reserve weekend, on Saturday was our family day. Our leadership kept saying "bring your family" more times than I can count. What they didn't tell us was we were flying a 3 go day with hot pits. Family day started at 10 o'clock Saturday and ran till 1900. Needless to say Crew Chiefs & Weapons didn't get off work until almost 1730. I basically said family day can kiss my ass and went back to my hotel room. The Med Group, support, spec flight, leadership all got to enjoy the picnic but we got to bust our ass all day...

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Snoop, I rember a family day at RAF Coningsby not so long ago and it's sounds very similar to yours. 4 ship up for flying display... Check, Queens birthday flypast...check and to finish it all off they went tanking as well!! Graft graft graft, all on a red hot Saturday whilst all the other trades ate ice cream and tucked into a lovely BBQ. Sounds like things are just the same over the pond!!!

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
    Snoop, I rember a family day at RAF Coningsby not so long ago and it's sounds very similar to yours. 4 ship up for flying display... Check, Queens birthday flypast...check and to finish it all off they went tanking as well!! Graft graft graft, all on a red hot Saturday whilst all the other trades ate ice cream and tucked into a lovely BBQ. Sounds like things are just the same over the pond!!!
    Yep. In fact the last 2 families days most people, were working in some respect. Either before, during or after the event. Although when I say most people, I actually mean all of Eng Wing and the Sqn's while the shiney's, mirror techs and all the other pointless trades ran around with their families.

P.S. Just to make it clear, I'm not bitter & twisted in any way shape or form.