Thread: The Four Ship with A-10s

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts

The Four Ship with A-10s

The title says it. I'm interested in discussing the nature of Four Ship tactics understanding that they are not the strongest nor the default case for the A-10, but they are something that is used nonetheless.

My own thoughts,

Positives:

• Working a problem by alternating with one element on the scene while the other element hit the tanker

• Working a pre planned strike with two separate elements would allow for shorter time over the target and/or fewer attack runs with the second element attacking faster than the first could reset as well as allowing one whole element to provide cover with the other element doing a shooter-shooter rather than a shooter-cover

• More aircraft means more diverse payload for specializing against targets/threats

Downsides would be:

• Higher workload for the overall lead

• More aircraft to be targeted by threats and a higher overall profile in the area

Thats all general and omits any specific tactics and examples since I have few if any so commentary and extrapolation on the above as well as whatever I'm not thinking of would be great.

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,111 Posts
    With a 4 ship, there's extra mutual support.
    With the addition of an extra element, you have more firepower to put on the target.

The downside is, like you pointed out that there's an extra workload for the lead to coordinate the flight. And it's less flexible over the dynamic battlefield
    Of course, when you split the 4 ship in elements once you are in the AO, you can regain that flexibility.
    Each elements does his task; pretty much as having 2 2-ships working together.
    For example, you can have one of the elements in a suppressor role, while the other one is in a shooter/shooter attack. The same could be reached by 2 2-ships obviously.

The benefit there is that the flight has the added mutual support on ingress and egress when flying an (offset) box or wedge as a 4 ship.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuka For This Useful Post:

El_Roto (22Feb15)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    613 Posts
    It's seems we have a little bit of a Catch22 in our Lead Pilot eligibility requirements. In the OI, the Lead Pilot check fight requires the candidate to lead a 4-ship flight combat mission. However, we've been advised to keep combat flight size to two on the DS, if at all possible - unless Lead already has a Lead Pilot rating.

Maybe the check ride should be a two-ship, with the candidate planning and coordinating with another two-ship? Or is our intent to actually put the candidate in a new situation for him on the check ride? Or am I misreading?
    Last edited by Hiccup; 22Feb15 at 13:28.