Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darn animals crossing the rwy on takeoff!

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Simulated bird strikes in DCS only affect the engines, so this wasn't caused by one. With the current modelling the chances of a strike increase as altitude decreases. So it's only a risk when at low level.

Something to think about (along with turbulence) when you're flying a low level ingress/egress etc.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    That's true birds can be at pretty high altitudes I remember seeing some Canadian geese at fl200! But the weirdest thing I ever saw was a near mid air collision with a kids red balloon at fl230....it went right over the cockpit! That was pretty crazy....kind of weird reporting a red balloon to atc at 23000 feet

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yassy View Post
    Yeah about the blown tires; I was wondering wether the main wheels can still turn inside their bay once they are retracted? Are they being braked by snubbers or are they just winding down?
    If they are braked by snubbers I would say they will pretty much always blow up when doing a gear up landing due to the friction and heat buildup.
    There is an anti rotation snubber for all three gear to keep the wheels from rotating. When you take off and the weight on wheels switch is activated the brakes apply to the main wheels, once the gear is up and locked the rotation snubber keeps the mains from turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Just did a wheels up landing yesterday in IQT, pretty much a non event, the nose never touched the runway. Blew both tires, but with the emergency brake handle pulled I think that can be expected. At the low angle approach called for in the checklist you don't get a tail strike either. Its actually really impressive to see everyone should try at least one gear up landing
    Gear up landing? You wouldn't have any brakes so no need to pull the brake handle....

I'll look when I get home...back in 1997 we had one of our jets land gear up and didn't jettison the training mavs. The only damage to the actual aircraft was the lower part of the vertical stabs. The mavs were grounded down about half way but not much else.
    Last edited by Snoopy; 19Apr12 at 20:39.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I was following the checklist which had me pull the emergency brake....when I landed I left a lot of skid marks and had two shredded tires....I thought it was an odd thing to do

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Doesn't pulling the handle only switch the available hydraulic pressure source?
    When the handle is pushed in you are using the left hydraulic system. If you pull it out you switch to the accumulator pressurized by the right hydraulic system for a limited amount of available brake applications.
    You would still need to press the brake pedals to brake as far as I understand?

Da FAC?

476vFG GC
    Founding member
    Belgium
       Belgium

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yassy View Post
    Doesn't pulling the handle only switch the available hydraulic pressure source?
    When the handle is pushed in you are using the left hydraulic system. If you pull it out you switch to the accumulator pressurized by the right hydraulic system for a limited amount of available brake applications.
    You would still need to press the brake pedals to brake as far as I understand?
    That is indeed exactly how it works.
    Brake pedals still needed. It's not a brake systems like you're hand brake in the car.

Providing CAS when you're all out of HUA!

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Thats how I understand the brake system as well, pulling the handle also deactivates the anti-skid system, so you have no anti-skid protection, but it seems like a sim-ism that pulling the handle acts as if you are depressing the pedals like an e-brake. I may be doing something wrong but every time I pull that handle I come to a stop pretty suddenly without using the actual brakes, but it does correctly turn off anti-skid protection. Next gear up landing I should not pull the emergency brake handle because in the sim your landing with the brakes fully depressed and basically locked. That's why my tires blew, landing with locked up wheels....not good. In the real aircraft it makes sense to pull the handle, but not in the sim.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Here is what the 1A-10C-1 say's:

-Results of actual experience and computer simulation indicate, if the decision is made not to eject, landing with all gear up is the most de- sirable means of recovering rather than landing with abnormal gear configurations.

As to wheel brakes...

-Wheel brakes - Light to moderate pressure, to ensure aircraft stays on prepared surface.
    NOTE
    • For wheels-up maximum braking speeds and stopping distances, see TO 1A-10C-1-1.
    •Use light pressure for directional control, moderate pressure to slow aircraft.

Talking mains during gear retraction:

-During landing gear retraction, hydraulic pressure stops the main wheels prior to engagement of the snubbers. This brake pressure is released when the landing gear is unpressurized after reaching the up and locked position.

-EMERGENCY BRAKE SYSTEM.
    With the left hydraulic system failed and the right hydraulic sys- tem operative, the emergency brake system has the same capa- bilities as the normal system without anti-skid. In event of a fail- ure of both hydraulic systems, emergency braking power is pro- vided by an accumulator serviced by, but isolated from, the right hydraulic system. In the event of loss of both hydraulic systems, sufficient accumulator fluid pressure is available for a minimum of five full brake applications.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Great feedback in this thread, guys! Enjoying it so much!
    Pretty much how our (Alternate) Brake system in the 73 works as well.

AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Main tire anti-rotation snubber....