United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts

Nighttime AAR

Gentlemen,

I have started working on refueling at night without the aid of night vision and need your help.

Basically I cannot see the boom or the tanker therefor I cannot hold the connection for more than a few seconds. With the lights on it is usually a one and done but night refueling is a different animal. I have set up my training mission at 0200 where there is zero ambient light and the refueling light provides very little help after the connection. With the boom directly in front I cannot see the marker lights on the underside of the tanker and have no idea where I am in relation to the tanker. The connection is easy but keeping it is out of my reach at this time.

Can anyone provide any tips or tricks to help improve my efforts?

Remember, Lurkers never die, we just smell that way.

Frodo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frodo For This Useful Post:

Dojo (20Jul15), Gunny (20Jul15)

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Although not entirely realistic, in DCS currently if you're flying on a moonless night using NVGs is really the only practical way to refuel. Hopefully in the future things will improve, but for the time being, use NVGs if you have to. That said, if you can hook up without them, do so.

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Hey Frodo,
    Two things:
    1- Formation lights all the way up + Nose illumination switch (two lights coming pylons 1 and 11 angled towards the nose illuminate the boom and a light inside the receptacle which aids the boomer)
    2- Exterior lighting dial on the fuel control panel shall illuminate the engine intakes, but this is procedural since the boomer is AI.

EDIT: yeah, double checked, the boom lights up, but just not high enough to notice the fixed part of the boom. So, as Eddie said.
    Last edited by Kimi; 20Jul15 at 16:51.

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    I was under the impression that a full night AAR was required during the training process, is this correct or is it something that needs to be practiced?

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Well, you certainly need to be able to do it to meet our minimum requirements.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Kimi, thanks, already have every light on the bird at full power and everything in the cockpit off to eliminate any glare. Still no Bueno!!

Eddie,
    I am trying to do more than just the minimum and be at least average if not competent at Night Time AAR. Since this is a "Minimum Requirement" I started this post to get some insight on how to best train on this before the next cycle starts. Per your quote, "flying on a moonless night using NVGs is really the only practical way to refuel" I am still looking for any tips or help of any kind to learn how to accomplish this without the use of NVG's.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    Frodo,

I had similar issues. See the thread I started and some potential areas to help you out. Of note, while I agree that NVGs make it easier, Snoopy was pretty explicit on his stance.

https://www.476vfightergroup.com/sho...ll=1#post40432

Once I turned of SweetFX and adjusted my monitor properly, I could see the tanker just enough to get'r'done.
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Thanks Tex, never heard of SweetFX before. Is this part of DCS, if so where do I turn it off or how do I turn it off? I will adjust the settings on my display tonight and see if that changes anything.

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    In the words of Obi-wan Kenobi, if all else fails "Use the force insert-callsign-here".

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimi For This Useful Post:

Frodo (21Jul15)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Thanks Tex, never heard of SweetFX before. Is this part of DCS, if so where do I turn it off or how do I turn it off? I will adjust the settings on my display tonight and see if that changes anything.
    It's a mod that changes the washed out coloring of DCS. If you didn't install it, you don't need to worry about it. After adjusting your monitor, only other thing I'd suggest is try adjusting your viewing angle. On mine, I noticed I could see more depending on my head position (both in the sim and actual head relative to my monitor)
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager