Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close Air Support TTP's and questions

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Yup specter is a beautiful thing to have on station at night. Nothing better than ir illumination of an enemy compound before door kicking time!
    Crom Wills it[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Thanks Crom. I was under the impression that most STS guys attached to ODA teams were CCTs. Or are CCTs typically assigned to a TACP?

I remember reading the story of ODA 574 during OEF and the fratricide that occurred because poor TAC.
    Best way to think of TACP/JTAC/CCT...

JTAC is someone who is qualified/certified to provide terminal attack control. Same with FAC(A).

TACPs are USAF teams that are spread about the maneuver units and at the various echelons (battalion, brigade, division, corps). They consist of JTACs and ROMADs and an Air Liaison Officer (ALO) who is the senior guy for the TACP. Size varies but TACPs form the core of the Theater Air Control System (TACS) when combined with the ASOC and AOC. They way if flows (for the AF) is this: Army Company gets into a fire fight and requests CAS through the TACP. Bn TACP calls the Bde TACP who calls the Division TACP, etc until it gets to the AOC. The AOC tasks the aircraft to provide CAS.

CCT (Combat Control Team) are a part of the STS bubbas and fall under AFSOC (the other parts being PJs and Special Ops Weather Teams). CCTs generally (always some exceptions) can do ATC (also a cert/qual) and are JTAC qualified. In addition to the JTAC/ATC training, they also get a bunch of other specialized training such as HALO/HAHO, SCUBA, etc so they can link the SOF team with airpower without being a risk to the team. While we would love to put STS with every ODA, there simply aren't enough of them.

Well, I guess that's not as short as I hoped. I can talk for hours/days on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kimi View Post
    Hey Widow,

When requesting AC-130 support, which if i remember correctly is a call for fire which grants clearance to engage to the aircrew by definition, if there is rotary wing a/c operating in the target aerea (e.g.: integrating an apache, or transport/extract) does this mean the gunship becomes in charge of deconfliction/terminal attack control or there's further FACing needed by the JTAC?

I know i know there's no ac130 in dcs, i just love that bird *ehem ehem*
    Short answer with AC-130 is there is no standard other than the JTAC controls fires. I've seen the JTAC control the stack, the AC-130 control the stack, or a third party such as a U-28 in a warden role control the stack. Bottom line is while the JTAC may "own" it, who actually executes and talks depends on who has SA and the situation.
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tex For This Useful Post:

Kimi (20Jul15), Noodle (20Jul15)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Tex is right in regards to the who may control the stack,

The JTAC will own it all, but at any time he pass control of either the

Mark
    Stack
    Brief
    Control

JTAC will 99% maintain control, as he is the terminal controller
    The brief could be done by anybody who is in the stack, i personally like if theres an F-15E in the stack, i would generally put him at the top of the stack and pass him everything apart form control.
    He has better SA, he has a WSO and if the JTAC is in the shit..he doesn't have to worry about passing SA updates and maintaining the stack

As for the TACP thing, to be honest, i dont fully know how they man there TACP's, i understand who does what and where but not the full manning

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Widow For This Useful Post:

Noodle (20Jul15)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Great topic, gents. I'd like to ask a few more questions when I get more time tomorrow.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Great topic, gents. I'd like to ask a few more questions when I get more time tomorrow.
    No worries Noodle..Happy to help

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quick question,

I've heard JTACs call "dash 1 or dash 2" (-1 or -2 -3 -4 blah blah) when controlling multiple a/c within the same flight. Is this allowed in combat enviroment? I imagine they add the dash to differenciate the calls within the flight but I dunno for sure.

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kimi View Post
    Quick question,

I've heard JTACs call "dash 1 or dash 2" (-1 or -2 -3 -4 blah blah) when controlling multiple a/c within the same flight. Is this allowed in combat enviroment? I imagine they add the dash to differenciate the calls within the flight but I dunno for sure.

Yes Kimi, this is allowed.

If you had say 4 F-18 in a flight, you would differentiate them by dash numbers.

However, when clearing them hot, you have to call there call sign ie "Hobo 11, Cleared Hot" "Hobo 14, Cleared Hot"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Widow For This Useful Post:

Kimi (21Jul15)