Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New computer soon

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I have to say, the last two computers I've built (back in 2004 and then 2011) both used Asus boards and they have both been flawless but I can't comment on the reliability their more recent boards.

I had a Seagate HDD that packed up after a few months and which I replaced with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 back in 2011. It was much quieter and faster and still works well today. I have also had a Samsung SSD for a couple of years that I can't fault either.

As for PSU's, I've had an Antec true power 430 that is still in my brothers PC after 11 years and in my current rig I've been running a Corsair HX 650 for the last 4.

I have used both Crucial and Corsair memory and have had no issues with either.

The only hardware fault I have ever had was that shitty Seagate HDD.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Yeah, I can't call a failed PCH fan on an almost 3 year mobo as a quality issue. But it's a major customer service problem to not offer an advanced RMA on that board.

I have a Rampage IV Extreme, which was the top X79 board at release. You don't expect these policies when you're buying products like that.

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    966 Posts
    Dojo, what 980ti do you have, and are you happy with it? I'm thinking of selling my year old 970 in favor of a 980ti. If nobody can convince me otherwise I will go for the ASUS strix one or the MSI lightning one.
    Last edited by Oliver; 08Oct15 at 15:18.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I have an eVGA variant, which I usually go for, and I'm very happy. How many monitors do you run or what's your resolution? Unless resolution was very high, I wouldn't go from a 970 to a 980Ti at this time. If you're a 4K+ guy, ok fine. (note, I was moving from a 4GB 680GTX).

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I'd probably wait until NVidia release Pascal now... The 980Ti will only be about 30% faster than your 970 for about $650

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    How many monitors do you run or what's your resolution?.
    This!

If you're running 1920x1080 then a 980Ti is pointless, especially if you already have a 970 (the best value card for 1920x1080).

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    For the record, it's a really crappy time to be upgrading a PC in the enthusiast space, largely due to the prospect of VR. Just no way to know what we'll "need" yet. This is the first time I'm upgrading (CPU/Mobo/RAM) with a *possible* expectation to upgrade less than a year later. So I won't be going overkill here.

If you don't have to upgrade, give it 6 months, I'd say!

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    I've also got an eVGA 980Ti and have been very happy with it. I upgraded from an eVGA 570 w/ a single 24" 1080 monitor to triple screen setup with 1440p main monitor. If I hadn't gone with the new monitor setup, I was going with a 970. If its just DCS and your not going 4k or multiscreen, I'd wait to upgrade. If nothing else, you can see what the release version of 2.0 looks like and pick your best option at that point. As for VR, I'm less optimistic than Dojo. I can see it a few years down the road but not in the next 6-12 months. At least not for me, the "average" consumer.
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    966 Posts
    Alright, you guys saved me a couple of hundred bucks. For now I am indeed DCSing on 1080p. Will review the GPU upgrade again once I will switch to 4k, which is likely to be at least 6 months from now.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    1440 by 900 crew, keeping it oldschool. I remember when I upgraded from 1024 by 768 and it felt like going to an IMAX

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Kimi (08Oct15), Tex (09Oct15)