Thread: New computer soon

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    My phone has more pixels than your monitor Howie!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:

Dojo (08Oct15), Howie (09Oct15)

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Hey! don't hate on 1444x900! And yes, my phone has almost 3 times the pixels of my monitor.

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Your screen has as many horizontal pixels as mine does vertical.

You guys really need new screens, I told Howie before, just eat bread and water for a month. You'll lose weight, and save enough money for a new monitor.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I was gonna upgrade my 1080p phone to a QHD one but I don't think my eyes could even see the difference. Anything above 400ppi is pointless.

I also refuse to upgrade my monitor before the oculus rift release. Saving my pennies for that and a hefty GPU.
    Last edited by Howie; 09Oct15 at 08:31.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I also refuse to upgrade my monitor before the oculus rift release. Saving my pennies for that and a hefty GPU.
    Couldn't agree more. Unless you're using your monitor for something other than gaming, like Eddie, or unless you just constitutionally reject the concept of a head mounted display, an upgrade isn't a great idea right now. If the Oculus is a bust v1, make a monitor decision then.
    Last edited by Dojo; 09Oct15 at 13:34.

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Or you know, go with option 3 like I am. Shiney new monitor now, Oculus as well once the early adopter Guinea pigs (like Dojo) have tested it.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Just sold 4 of my 6 monitors for a Acer xr341ck, 34" curved monitor. Very happy with my decision. Going down to 2 monitors brought my FPS up while still keeping a beautiful view. Oculus looks promising but just dont know how its going to work with flight sims. Need to see your controls.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StageFright View Post
    Oculus looks promising but just dont know how its going to work with flight sims. Need to see your controls.
    This is a common refrain from people who have not experienced the Oculus. Have you tried it? It is impossible to understand the difference in experience from Youtube videos or reading about the concepts.

I owned it for over a year before selling it. For sure, it was not good enough for DCS in its DK2 variant, with the primary issue being the screen door effect (often confused for a resolution problem), and a distant second challenge was not being able to see your controls.

But on the plus side, you are IN THE JET. I can not stress enough, this is not a monitor on your head. You are IN THE JET. Scale is correct. Assuming the screen door effect/resolution issues are resolved, I promise you, the inability to see your controls will be an adjustment I will happily make. There is no substitute for being IN THE JET. The visibility of your wingman alone in a 1 mile line formation is astounding, even at low resolution.

So your controls become HOTAS, Rudder, and mouse. You will be a tad slower at certain tasks. But the difference in experience is so dramatic, it's a trade I'd make in a second.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

Hansolo (09Oct15)

Denmark
       Denmark
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    I fully understand your point about being IN THE JET, Dojo. I have never had the privilege of try out Oculus but maybe you can help me understand how you would note down a CAS brief while using Oculus. Please take this a trolling or me trying to stirr up at big cons and pros of Oculus vs. full pit. It's just for my own understanding :-)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Hansolo, you are welcome over here, there is definitely no trolling on your legit question, nor should my professed *hope* that the Oculus is successful be translated as a complete confidence that it will be the only way to fly.

But my perception is colored by the types of missions we fly primarily at the 476th, which aren't CAS (though we're really hoping to do more of this). The overwhelming majority of the sorties we fly are air interdiction, where coordinates to be pocketed, when necessary, are often entered directly into the scratchpad.

OK, but that's besides the point: The need to write things down, regardless of mission type, is frequent enough to require a solution. What I believe will happen if the Oculus is an immersive success, is that our gameplay will adapt to it. e.g. mods will be made to make the kneeboard writeable, etc. ED, who plans to officially support the Oculus, *may even* provide such a solution on their own.

The Oculus won't be a "flip the switch and go!" solution, it will require support and clever changes to solve the "in the pit" reality. But these things are solvable in my view. If the consumer rift does what the producer's say it does - which is no screen door, latency, or judder... then I will modify my play style to suit it, because the positives are overwhelmingly good, not the least of which is everyone having the same perspective - a major disadvantage with the way we play sims today.

At this time, my plan is to purchase it day 1, and evaluate it objectively. If I can't make it work, I will pursue other solutions I've been evaluating.
    Last edited by Dojo; 09Oct15 at 20:41.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

Hansolo (09Oct15)