United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Toss Bombing

Growing up, I would ask my uncle about his USAF war stories in Vietnam as he was a F-4 Phantom pilot, and he told me several times they would use Toss bombing. Thus, to avoid flying near or over the North Vietnams heavy AAA/SAM sites. He said they were tasked to attack the Ho Chi Min trail which at times/areas was heavily defended.

I understand the basic idea of toss bombing is to stay clear of enemy threat(s) / envelopes. There are two types of toss bombing MAT, LAT for the A-10C, from my understanding.
    Can someone explain to me how these delivery types are executed in the A-10C? ex) CCIP or CCRP, techniques used etc.
    Munitions used? CBU, MK-82-84s?...more?

LAT: What altitude would a LAT be at typically? Could a pop-up (type) maneuver be used in a LAT (mode? CCIP, CCRP)?

Would the CBU footprints be different between HAT vs LAT? If so how would one calculate/set the DSMS (RPM, HOF, Fuse etc)? What factors is one taking into consideration?

Target types used for HAT, LAT? Enemy troops, light armor units. etc? Anything else?

Is there any restrictions in CBUs?
    For example can a CBU-103/105 be used in a LAT, HAT?
    This might sound dumb but I have to ask, can a GBU be used in Toss bombing? JTAC, FAC(A), lasing ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Warpig; 26Sep15 at 11:39.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TWOT

476th vFG Command Staff
    Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    951 Posts
    As per the TTP and MQT doc a delivery <10k is a LAT, 10k<x<20k is a MAT, and I would assume >20k is a HAT but someone would have to verify this. Clearly an A-10 is not the jet for a HAT.

Now what I understand, but this too needs verification, is that you can do a toss or a level toss (i.e. 15k floor level MAT). The level toss is just flying straight and level while dropping. A toss (i.e. 30/10 degree MAT) starts with a dive towards target after roll-in followed by a pull to the intended attitude of 10 degrees dive to drop.

Eddie has at least one clip where he does a non-level LAT or MAT, see if you can find it.

EDIT

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CtFzQ0SKZk
    A 30/10 MAT. Roll-in to achieve 30 degree dive, pull to 10 degree dive and pickle.
    Last edited by Oliver; 26Sep15 at 12:03.

A mission’s execution often reflects the quality, discipline, and tone set in the briefing. - Chris “Kimos” Haave