Thread: Instrument Departures

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    685 Posts
    Tex, I think Scaley is asking specifically how to make a correction once it's determined that vertical separation is insufficient/excessive; Scaley, correct me f I'm wrong.

Assuming I understood the question correctly, then one technique is to increase/decrease ITT in 25° increments and re-trim to maintain climb speed(200 KIAS). This results in a corresponding increase/decrease in vertical speed while preserving nose/tail separation. Once you've fixed the vertical separation error, simply return to 750° ITT.

It's worth noting, Scaley, that DCS incorrectly models some aspects of the TF34, to include the inability to obtain maximum rated ITT which is 865°. As a result, we use target ITT values that work for the sim, but aren't correct in real life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Scaley (17Nov15)

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    You may be right Noodle. Either way, the important part is 200 KIAS. That keeps you in trail. Pitch and throttle as required after that. Or call visual and be done with it...not that we do that in my plane
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

Uruguay
       Uruguay

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Noodle, about the wrong threshold for the ITT, is it just wrongly correlated with the thrust output in the sim or the sim actually has less thrust than it should?

PROFESSIONAL IDIOT (ISO 9001 CERTIFIED) || 31+27 / 08+40

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Assuming I understood the question correctly, then one technique is to increase/decrease ITT in 25° increments and re-trim to maintain climb speed(200 KIAS). This results in a corresponding increase/decrease in vertical speed while preserving nose/tail separation. Once you've fixed the vertical separation error, simply return to 750° ITT.

It's worth noting, Scaley, that DCS incorrectly models some aspects of the TF34, to include the inability to obtain maximum rated ITT which is 865°. As a result, we use target ITT values that work for the sim, but aren't correct in real life.
    Thanks, that is indeed what I was asking, sorry if it wasn't clear from the post. That seemed like the obvious corrective action.

The inaccurate ITT has been mentioned before so I guess as long as everyone's using the same numbers it doesn't matter. The airspeeds in the sim on takeoff seem to match the -1 takeoff check numbers reasonably so does that mean we have the right amount of thrust?
    Last edited by Scaley; 17Nov15 at 14:42. Reason: Sp

ZULU

81st vFS Pilot
    United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Not sure about the accuracy of thrust we have in the sim, but you're correct about everyone using the same numbers.

Remember of course, that once you're out of the departure and visual on 1, the ITT figures become mere guidelines. Your job is simply to stick on his wing, using his ITT as a rough approximation of power. You'll constantly be twiddling the ITT back and forth to maintain formation - So don't get too focussed on them.