81st vFS Pilot
    United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Agreed with Oliver. Although your formation flying won't generally be judged (Much) on application I'd say it's the main skill I had to work on after starting.

If you can get good at that first it'll make the IQT phase significantly easier.

On top of learning that and AAR, ensure you are strongly proficient with ILS approaches (Without using the HUD to cheat!)

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was in a Virtual aerobatics Team previously, I'm confident in that ability.

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
    Agreed with Oliver. Although your formation flying won't generally be judged (Much) on application I'd say it's the main skill I had to work on after starting.

If you can get good at that first it'll make the IQT phase significantly easier.

On top of learning that and AAR, ensure you are strongly proficient with ILS approaches (Without using the HUD to cheat!)
    I have never flown ILS approaches ever, Not in any simulator or RL. They scare the **** outta me...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Scratch (and others), you could -and you should IMO- start with downloading the public 476 documents and start practicing. E.g. formation flying and (N)AAR can easily be practiced by two or more serious pilots outside of the 476. Especially with the pace of the training being mainly dependent on your own progress rate, you want to be as prepared as possible.

Oh, and welcome!
    I stayed up till 4am my time to read into some of the INSANELY!!! LONG docs your team has created. Amazing effort by each contributor, not even scratched the surface yet -_-

ZULU

81st vFS Pilot
    United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I have never flown ILS approaches ever, Not in any simulator or RL. They scare the **** outta me...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
    I'd say put some real work in there then - By the end of IQT you'll be expected to make an approach from anywhere, totally blind, relying solely on charts and instruments. Don't worry yourself hugely with flying the correct approach pattern etc at first. This is not required for application - Just getting onto the glideslope, then following it down safely and smoothly. The rest comes in training.

If you ever want to learn the basics of ILS let me know, I'd be happy to take you up some time and show you the initial concepts. It can be very scary at first but you'll quickly see that it's reasonably straight forward.
    Last edited by Ragtop; 20Nov15 at 00:40.

Canada
       Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
    I'd say put some real work in there then - By the end of IQT you'll be expected to make an approach from anywhere, totally blind, relying solely on charts and instruments. Don't worry yourself hugely with flying the correct approach pattern etc at first. This is not required for application - Just getting onto the glideslope, then following it down safely and smoothly. The rest comes in training.

If you ever want to learn the basics of ILS let me know, I'd be happy to take you up some time and show you the initial concepts. It can be very scary at first but you'll quickly see that it's reasonably straight forward.
    Wow thanks Ragtop! I'd be more than happy to learn! Maybe sometime this weekend as I work 9 hour shifts during weekdays