Thread: Oculus Pre Orders

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Yeah, I do believe it has a lot of promise at least on paper. My doubts are more related to how it'll be in practice for regular and prolonged use, rather than just quick "this is awesome" moments.

Only time (and early adopters) will answer than question though.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Indeed. For example, big question for me is how am I going to write things down. However, necessity is the mother of invention, and I can conceive of mods that allow a writable kneeboard. (more simply, a hot key that pops up a notepad window may also work, which is what I plan to do...) but there's a lot of little things like that I'm concerned about...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

Baxter (06Jan16)

ZULU

81st vFS Pilot
    United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Even with an on screen notepad, you then have to locate and touch type your data - When this is an MGRS grid being fired off at you it's not going to be easy. Add those of us who have cockpits and keyboards which are not in a 'touch typing position'.

This is the main problem with VR. Complete in game spatial awareness, at the cost of real life spatial awareness.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I'm a touch typist with my keyboard easily available so I don't see that as a problem at all for me. I just don't like the idea of using notepad and typing to begin with. But everything has its cost.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I have many flight hours in the dk2 and actually did most of iqt and mqt in it before I pulled out to move to Germany. Their is nothing better than that experience, I have a 55 inch 4K tv and will be ditching Asap when cv1 is out. But be aware for those who have physical pits the htc vive I believe will be better option as it has a forward facing camera. I will buy both or if true info comes out and their is a distinct advantage optically and spec wise I will go with the best as visual acuity is the most important thing with this new consumer technology for dcs world. Trust me their is nothing better than flying dcs in VR coupled with the butt kicker.
    Exciting times I just hope and pray Ed comes through with sli support as they have been silent with that major flaw in new engine.
    Crom Wills it[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spain
       Spain
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    I also believe this could be a Great Leap Forward for flight sims, and for sure will add realism through immersion. If final release of DCS allows good FPS, that should minimize sickness, and besides, same as on real world, I sure people that suffer it will be able to overcome the effects after some flight hours. I heard of people getting sick with track ir during first hours of use. But even though for us flying fixed wings will add immersion, guys flying choppers will benefit the most, flying low with great depth of field.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    $599.00 is the official price. Ordered.

Edit: Shipping March 28th
    Last edited by Dojo; 06Jan16 at 15:52.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Right gents,

As some of you know i work in military simulation, in the JTAC, CAS pilot area, being an ex JTAC.

Iv got two DK2 and one DK1 kit that iv used for various tasks, including DCS.

For an accredited JTAC simulator, which is accredited by the US and NATO, the JTAC has to have a minimum of 180deg for type 2 and 240deg for type 1.
    No that's currently achieved by using domes and multiple projectors, highest number being 16. Now having a HMD isnt a new concept, we have been using them since the late 90's, but they do come with plenty of draw backs, price, letterbox view, weight and bring quite fragile.
    The Oculus brings a new era into simulation, and its a fantastic piece of kit. Not only in price but capability.
    It to has draw backs, the sickness for one, which is caused primarily due to the latency, which iv been told by Oculus that this will be sorted along with the res, which should be 4k over both eyes, which then equates to 1080 each eye.
    Yes the fact you have to take the dam thing off to write anything down is a pain, and there are plenty of things out there that allow a virtual desktop, but that still takes away from the immersiveness and breaks the FLOW of the scenarios.
    All in all i think its a great piece of tech.

Now as for DCS, i appreciate people not trusting anybody within the DCS community to give a honest opinion on the Oculus for DCS, but believe me when i say i have many years experience with all kinf\ds of HMD's and other equipment in Military simulation at the highest level.

It is going to be a fantastic addition to the DCS world, as long as you don't mind shifting it to your forehead to write anything down. You may feel sick as the aircraft is going one way and you look another.
    Someone said something about spacial awareness, well for in game, is great, you do really feel as if you are sat in the cockpit you have a 1:1 head movement rather than the offset TrackIR gives you, in real world, you will be fine, just sit down and have all your joysticks placed before you place the Oculus on.

Now, one draw back iv seen with DCS, and im not sure if this was just the DK or what, but the clickable cockpit never worked for me.
    Never really figured it out and just thought it was because it is in development.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Pre ordered! Much more pricey still don't know specs but I'm sure I'll cancel rift and get vive once all info is know as of now vive is more logical for flight sims with that forward camera. I never got sick with Dk2 really think it has to do with the person more than the tech. Never had any clickable cockpit problems either. Note to possible buyers if you are a us service member aka like me in Germany I would recommend having your shipping address in the United States aka your parents you will save a good amount of money this way. Their conversion to Euro is a bit crazy.
    Crom Wills it[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Congrats to @Dojo and @Crom on your purchase!