Thread: Oculus Pre Orders

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    The consumer rift total resolution is actually 2160x1200, so not 4K, though it's 1080x1200 at each eye.

This has been the most widely misunderstood subject re the Oculus. Every time someone says "I wish it was 4k", I'm pretty sure a kitten dies (not that you said that). You can't compare an HMD resolution to a computer monitor's/TV's resolution. You actually can't compare resolutions between two different HMDs because the optics techniques vary widely between them.

Everything you wrote about motion sickness is correct. Resolution has nothing to do with motion sickness at all, and the latency issue was reportedly resolved with the crescent bay prototype (post-DK2, pre-consumer release version). Also notably, the head tracker, which was already substantially better than trackIR on the DK2, is complete redone allowing 360 degrees of movement.

Re: the Clickable cockpit issues, those were resolved long ago. I was able to manage just fine even with my DK2 over a year ago. I'm sure it'll improve.

Regarding lifting the unit to write things. Interesting. I'll have to see, because that sounds immersion breaking to me.

Also sounds like you misunderstood what I wrote about it needing to be tested here at the 476th. This isn't a trust thing. It's an experience thing. Most groups in the DCS world don't fly the way we do, so while all input is valuable, anyone who isn't operating the way we do can't really describe in detail what the "considerations" are. The way we use our internal website, share images, write our mission data cards, pre-brief, stream videos, etc. Almost all of us use iPads/tablets for the the data we carry into the pit. We know nothing of how everything around the sim and in the sim will perform. It's a much more complicated subject than "is the resolution high enough and does it not make me sick?".

A real evaluation for the 476th will have to be conducted by the 476th. I would imagine that's true of any virtual squadron with highly specific sim play, not just us

PS: I should also point out, I play other games... and even if I conclude the Rift doesn't cut it for DCS, I'm 100% sure I'll be playing other games with it. I loved my DK2!
    Last edited by Dojo; 06Jan16 at 17:46.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dojo For This Useful Post:

Nash (14Jul16)

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    From what i was told at a simulation trade show last year by Oculus was it was going to be 4k, but if that's the the case i stand corrected.

As i say, it was more than likely my fault, it was almost as if the mouse cursor was ghosted out, so it wouldn't let me click anything. But again, if its fixed then great.

You will notice that your sight is completely blocked, and you are unable to look out without taking it off, Yes you no longer are immersed in the game.

Yes i more than likely did misunderstand and wasn't mean to be confrontational, i was merely saying that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience out in the community that we can all learn from.
    This is the reason why im here, to learn how you guys do it and join in when i can.

I would really like to hear the results of the 476th eval and see what you think of it.

Haha, me to, i really want to try it on F1 game.

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Ya im excited will be an improvement from Dk2 in all respects and thats good enough for me. Trust me its definately usable to your high standards its just a matter of Developing new In your own pit procedures in my experience and opinion. That is the biggest thing i had to change when i got the dk2 and flew with you guys. It will only be easier now due to improved optics. Depending on if i can go through training again in the future when i have an open window between deployments i will definately do it in the rift or vive. But just like at the real job definately have to do a KIT Shake out period to make sure its up to snuff for those who have it and to operate To said standards. Exciting times!

Rich
    Crom Wills it[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Widow View Post
    From what i was told at a simulation trade show last year by Oculus was it was going to be 4k, but if that's the the case i stand corrected.

As i say, it was more than likely my fault, it was almost as if the mouse cursor was ghosted out, so it wouldn't let me click anything. But again, if its fixed then great.

You will notice that your sight is completely blocked, and you are unable to look out without taking it off, Yes you no longer are immersed in the game.

Yes i more than likely did misunderstand and wasn't mean to be confrontational, i was merely saying that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience out in the community that we can all learn from.
    This is the reason why im here, to learn how you guys do it and join in when i can.

I would really like to hear the results of the 476th eval and see what you think of it.

Haha, me to, i really want to try it on F1 game.

The great thing about the Dk2 is you could look down and through the nose slots if need be. But from what i have been reading we no longer have that ability with the Cv1. Can always do some kit modification.....

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Widow View Post
    Not really your fault for confusion. Officially, resolution still isn't announced, although Binstock himself said 2160x1200 in a dev blog post last year. There was wild speculation that it could increase by launch time, but really, I don't see how 4K resolution can run at 90hz on the PC specs they've defined, so while no one knows with 100% certainty whether they've increased it, given the required specs, it seems extremely unlikely that they would.

I took nothing you wrote as confrontational in the slightest.

EDIT: Here's Binstock's original write up. This was written back in May, and you'll note the announced recommended PC specs today match what he said back then, so I can't imagine the resolution of the unit has changed.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/
    Last edited by Dojo; 06Jan16 at 19:30.

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    FIVE HUNDRED AND THIRTY ENGLISH POUNDS!!! They're having an absolute laugh.

Preordered.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Dojo (06Jan16)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
    Not really your fault for confusion. Officially, resolution still isn't announced, although Binstock himself said 2160x1200 in a dev blog post last year. There was wild speculation that it could increase by launch time, but really, I don't see how 4K resolution can run at 90hz on the PC specs they've defined, so while no one knows with 100% certainty whether they've increased it, given the required specs, it seems extremely unlikely that they would.

I took nothing you wrote as confrontational in the slightest.
    To be honest Dojo I could see the much higher res running at 90 hz since 99 percent of the games being developed for VR are totally not graphically intense by any means. Dcs world is probably the hardest one performance wise due to many reasons and the biggest being not developed for VR from ground up. I am very surprised their is no specs on the order page makes me curios and worried at the same time . Only time will tell and next ten of video cards and hopefully VR sli can solve some of the performance gaps I hope...

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I'm not sure what you mean by much higher res and not graphically intense. It sounds you're confusing those early rift demo game graphics with how the unit is designed to perform. Don't confuse game resolution with display resolution. Put simply the Rift will require much more GPU performance to run at the same resolution of an equivalent monitor. Put more simply: there's no such thing as free lunch.

Read the break down by Binstock, and I think you'll have a better picture: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Nope no confusion not even thinking resolution if you look at the games that are being developed for VR they are quite simplistic compared to graphical powerhouses made for 2d single screens. That is all I'm getting at and yes their will be very graphical intense games that will eventually come out but not at release. I'm talking about graphics fidelity and the effects, what I meant is the games are very basic and could run at a higher resolution displays in a VR easier compared to mainstream games out their.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Um... you really should read that post. Are you aware that Binstock is the chief architect for the Rift? That's not just speculation. Let me give you the most direct point he makes right up front. The rest of the article is explaining why:

The recommended PC specification is an NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD 290, Intel i5-4590, and 8GB RAM. This configuration will be held for the lifetime of the Rift and should drop in price over time.
    This is getting a little off topic, so if you really want to understand how this works, happy to TS with you about it sometime.