Thread: Sticky Brakes Solution

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Sticky Brakes Solution

Last night Snoopy pointed out that I was having trouble with brakes sticking. Not being familiar with how the aircraft was supposed to handle on the ground, I didn't even realize it. :P
    I found a solution that worked for me, and here is a link to a post that summarizes it pretty well. It is a fairly simple fix, and worked well for me. This problem seems to be most common with Saitek rudder pedals, though a few with CH pedals have also reported it.

Ground handling is now much easier, I don't get pulled to one side or the other when starting my takeoff roll, and the plane practically leaps forward on takeoff now!

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...4&postcount=62

Now to figure out what is going on with TARS not letting me use my AM radios.................

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    OH! I have been pulling my hair out over this one. Thanks

Markeebo

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Can you describe what a sticky brake is on the pedals? Just one of your brakes are stuck or it doesnt react well ? Bit curious to see if I have the same
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    411 Posts
    I think it's referring to Saitek Rudder Pedals that if you release the pedal to fast it will not register that it is COMPLETELY released.

I seen that in axis option in DCS. When you release is slowly it will show that it got released completely to 0 when as you "spring" release it it will show that you are still holding the pedal down slightly and the aircraft will be breaking.

It shows when you are taxing and you are dragged to one side or another.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Hmmm that i got to try out then never came across this problem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    This is a problem that seems to strike at random, though primarily those with saitek pedals.
    In my case, it didn't matter if I released the brakes slow or fast, they would only return to 50% most of the time. It is easy to check if you go into options, bring up the axis screen for one of your toe brakes, and watch as you work the brake pedal. If you have it, it will only return to 0 about 10% of the time.
    In game, the symptoms will be taking a lot of power to get the AC moving, poor ground handling, and pulling to one side or the other when starting your takeoff roll.
    The fix above worked for me and quite a few others, though there are a few reporting that it isn't working for them.
    Curiously, I only had this problem with A10C, the toe brakes worked fine in other games, and in the Windows panel, calibration looked perfectly fine.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    My Simpeds have this same problem. All I can do to fix it is hit "ALT W" and reset them for a while; the problem always returns, however. Doesn't look like this will work for mine.
    Last edited by El_Roto; 03May12 at 18:04.
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I think it is definitely a game bug, probably somwhere in their axis handling. With it returning to 50% consistently, I suspect it is not differentuating between joystick axis and slider as it should, maybe a conflict between the two.
    In that case though, I would be curious as to why a recalibration seems to fix it for most cases.
    I am not familiar with Simpeds other than seeing a picture or two on the net. Do their drivers allow a recalibration in Windows? It might be worth a try, or to figure out which registry key to delete to remove Window's saved calibration and force it to reset.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    I am not familiar with Simpeds other than seeing a picture or two on the net. Do their drivers allow a recalibration in Windows? It might be worth a try, or to figure out which registry key to delete to remove Window's saved calibration and force it to reset.
    No, they're self-calibrating. I've looked at them in Windows anyway and they work fine there. IMO it's definitely a sim-related problem. I've had it since November of '10.
    “Get the nosewheel on the ****ing centerline.” - Al Hawley, my first IP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]