Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

How to change the freq. and channels on the radios

How do you change the freq. and channels on AM, UHF and FM radios when you fly?
    Turn your head with TIR and look down on the left cockpit panel, with mouse click on buttons and switches, while you are flying in formation, is not useful.
    What are your solutions?

I have some keyboard shortcut now on my keyboard.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Turn your head with TIR and look down on the left cockpit panel, with mouse click on buttons and switches, while you are flying in formation, is not useful.
    for me it is..... i always trim my plane so that i don't drop to much out of the formation

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendol View Post
    If you can't go heads down to make a switch adjustment, then you are either not flying the formation correctly, not kicking out as you should or lead has you in the wrong formation.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    To help I have bound my preset up/down commands for F, M and Aft to my G-keys on my G15 keyboard.
    But in-formation I usually make sure the plane is trimmed, make some room and go heads down for a bit, all the while checking up again to see if everything is still safe outside.

AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

Slovenia
       Slovenia

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    With which hand you use your mouse to click? If you use your right hand, which hand you have on joystick?

Quatar
       Quatar

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendol View Post
    With which hand you use your mouse to click? If you use your right hand, which hand you have on joystick?
    None. For the 5 seconds it take to adjust a frequency you should be able to fly hands off without any problem, in fact as long as your jet is trimmed correctly you should be able to fly hands off for a lot longer than that.

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,109 Posts
    Plus for items like this lead should have you in route spacing, not close....

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    @Yassy, question: how did you setup the ability to change these presets?
    I've tried to do exactly that started with the presets of the AM but and strange things happen.
    Wrong buttons were pushed and some other switches went nuts?

I also have the G-13 and have tried to do some settings wich are very handy like comm menu's.
    I also like the timer you can set at the display, countdown wich i will use for the 10 sec interval and timer wich i will use for total flighttime.

Netherlands
       Netherlands

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    @Jedi: First make sure that you get rid of double bindings in the controls assignment window in DCS. With that I mean you need to check wether that gamepad you have plugged in (just an example) does not get any functions assigned. DCS does assign a default set of functions to any controllers or input hardware you have plugged in.
    Also, if you unlug your hardware a lot, be sure to re-plug them in the exact same USB port. Otherwise your bindings will revert to defaults on that controller.

For the radios I have done the following:
    Go into the Options screen to the Controls tab and select A-10 Sim as the filter. Next to that select UHF Radio as the second filter to bring up the UHF controls.
    To the bottom of the list you will find 4 entries about UHF Preset Channel selector decrease and increase. On my system ONLY ONE version of the given option works. For some options its the first line and for others its the second, strangely enough. So you need to test it in the pit. I started with binding only the top options for a given setting. If one worked, but not the other I switched the one that did not work to the other entry line in the controls list. Why it does this I have no idea, perhaps its my system and you don't even have more than one option for a given setting.

Bind a key command you want to use, I recommend some combination of keys. Mine is LAlt + LShift + S to decrease the preset and LAlt + Lshift + W to increase.

Do the same for the UHF Volume increase and decrease (if you want) with a different set of keybindings.
    I try to keep things as logical as I can, so to visualize the keyboard section:

Q W E
    A S D

...are my radio preset and volume controls, but with different modifier keys (Alt/Ctrl etc). Where Q,A are for FWD, W,S are for MID and E, D are for AFT.

Now switch the filter to VHF AM Radio control panel.

Do the above steps with different key combos again, but for the AM radio and afterwards switch the filter to VHF FM Radio control panel to finish up.

Now save your settings (very important!) by clicking OK.

Last thing we do is revert to the Logitech Gamepanel software to setup our G-keys.
    Be sure to make a profile for A-10C, so the software pulls up the correct profile if you start the sim, rather than having one profile for everything.

Bind the keyboard commands you have chosen in DCS to your chosen G-keys and you should be set.
    I assume you know how to do this in the Logitech software? If not, drop me a note.
    Last edited by Yassy; 27Apr12 at 12:36.

AWACS/ATC Controller - A-10C Pilot

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yassy For This Useful Post:

El_Roto (04May12), Jedi (27Apr12)

Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Yassy, thanks for your detailed response, much appreciated!
    I will try again to get it to work, keep you posted.