Thread: 476th-AirWeaponsRangeObjects-15FEB16 How do I use it...

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

476th-AirWeaponsRangeObjects-15FEB16 How do I use it...

Stupid question from new user....

You guys rock... and have created an awesome site, documents and videos.

I'm trying to find good quality training missions, or create some of my own. But, very limited in knowledge on how to create a mission or modify an existing one. Was thinking of adding some training targets in the Instant Action Missions like "Easy-East Georga-Spring". Is this the best (easiest) way?

downloaded pkg, installed with JSGME all went well.

Don't see it in any of my menus for DCS A10 other than Module Mgr shows it there.

I assume I must add them to an existing mission or campaign?
    Any instructions for Dummies?
    Intel I7-920@2.67Ghz6Gb ram, Win7Pro64, NVIDIAGeForceGTX 960, Samsung SSD850Pro128Gb,
    3-NECMultisync2180 & 1 ViewsonicVA2026w, X52 Flight Sys Now HOTAS soon
    Keep the plexiglass side up...!!!

Great tutorial done by Bunyap Sims on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/UWU4JvcvaAE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Panther For This Useful Post:

Nash (20May16)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks so much for the reply and direction

... I viewed the tutorial and he mentions a mission ".miz' file with the prebuilt template missions and shows the contents of the zip file. My download only has the sub dir that installs under the TECH dir in main DCS>Mods dir. I did not get the READme files or the mentioned .miz file. Did these get removed from the download zip file? Just wanted to let someone know my download did not include them.

Since I really don't know what I'm doing yet, do I need this .miz file? His example on the video includes using this file to add the range objects to a mission map, but the other objects seem to be there in the editor menu so I guess we just build our own or add to an existing mission like "Shooting Gallery"?

One final nagging question... if you would be so kind to answer... I can't figure out how to zoom in/out on the map in the mission editor, I know I'm going to be embarrassed by the answer but for the life of me I can find any view commands. I can pan using RM Hold but that's it. have tried every other command, mouse wheel etc... I know it can be done...???
    Intel I7-920@2.67Ghz6Gb ram, Win7Pro64, NVIDIAGeForceGTX 960, Samsung SSD850Pro128Gb,

United Kingdom
       United Kingdom

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Mouse zoom, but there is quite a lag due to the size of the map...

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks...!!!! It's now the wheel on the mouse but I have a zoom axis set on my X52 throttle, that works....!!! Never thought to try it since the mouse wheel didn't work. In my cockpit both work the same, i have the throttle wheel set so I don't have to take my hand off the stick to mouse zoom around.

Tried to edit the existing shootinggallery mission, made a few changes to way points and saveas new name. Went to fly it but the briefing page looks like the orig, the tanker is missing or nowhere to be found...

The zoom bit helped a lot, Guess I have a lot more reading to do in the User manual... if you know of any other quality videos on the subject, I'd be grateful for the links, I learn by watching much faster than reading, I use the reading to supplement what I see.

Thanks to all of you for your awesome, help and quick replies..

United States
       United States

Awards Showcase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    813 Posts
    Welcome Dog,

Always glad to see new folks in the DCS community. Below are a few links that have some mission editing information that will get you started into DCS. As for your specific questions, ***.miz are mission files. Each miz file is a mission. They can be very simple or complex but everything is contained in the *.miz. You can find these miz files from places like the ED forums for download. Put them in your ***/Saved Games/DCS/Missions folder then launch DCS and fly or edit away. Should not need/use JSGME for individual missions. As for the zooming in the Mission Editor (ME), for me its just the mouse wheel. No special buttons to click so maybe a hardware or setting issue on your end.

Hoggit : not a formal group but an active DCS community that specifically looks to help new players. They have (or at least used to have) a weekly noob night which is a great place to ask questions and learn. They also have a training mission and links to other resources.
    Hoggit Wiki : Has some basic guides and mission editing information
    “Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own. " - Chuck Yeager

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tex For This Useful Post:

Nash (20May16)

United States
       United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks TEX... I have a lot of work to do and any help is greatly appreciated.
    I do know what MIZ files are, I just wanted to let someone in the 476 know that the download package that I got from the downloads section did not contain the MIZ file mentioned in the BUNYAP video. I know links get broker etc... just wanted to give someone the heads up...