Thread: Judging distance in formation flying?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Netherlands
       Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Judging distance in formation flying?

Hi everybody

So me and robart are often flying together to practice procedures as stipulated in the -3. Currently we're doing lots of formation flying and turns. The -3 tells us how much seperation we should keep, for instance 6000-9000 ft in the line formation. Of course I understand these distances are a general ballpark, and to be adjusted as the situation requires.

Can any of you give us any tips or tricks to help us judge the distance between us? Using a TAD hook gives a general idea in NM to help us get a feel for it, because it's quite hard to judge a distance like that especially for metric-oriented people. Obviously using the TAD like this is not something to ever use in an actual mission, it's only as a reference to get a bit of recognition memory. It's hard to get a feel for the distance without having any reference, except maybe the ground: "ah we're 7000 ft in the air, the ground looks about as close as my wingman, therefor he must be about 7000 ft off my wing". The ground seems like a terrible reference.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reverze For This Useful Post:

robart (25May16)